ZZ502 fits under stock 1980Z hood, pics

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chipman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Arthur, Ontario
    mine i cut out like that and was running a drop base before with a nitrous plate under the carb and it cleared....i still have the flaps and solenoid in mine as well.

2. motionwannabe

motionwannabe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    close fit under that hood.......is there enough room for a little stretch of the motor mounts?

4. Chipman

Chipman Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Got poly inserts in clam mounts. Driven 300 miles so far and no rubbing under the hood.

5. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 3, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi CHIPMAN, I am planning on doing the same with my 79Z and was worried about hood clearance. Is that the same intake that came with the crate engine? I understand that even using the SBC engine and frame mounts, and a reproduction drop down air cleaner, the engine will fit. Obviousy from seeing your pics and others I have seen, it does fit, it just seems so close! Any major issues that you ran into with the swap?

6. Chipman

Chipman Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2008
    North Louisiana
    My engine is the deluxe model. Came complete with carb intake dist ect. Used the mounts off the 305. Had to trim the corner off the drivers side mount and remove head bolt washers to get the headers to clear. Changed the oil pan. Other than that, mine fell right in. The majority of my work has been in front and behind this engine. Big radiator w/ dual fans in front, beefed up th400 and Moser 9" ford behind. Makes lots of heat and power.

7. TX79Z28

May 3, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, looks like you did a good job! Couple of questions

What did you do to get the TH400 to fit? What crossmember...moved back on the subframe?

Do you know the P/N for the oil pan to fit our crossmembers? I would imagine you also had to change the pickup and tube? Was that part of a kit? or did you buy the parts separate (pan, oil pick up, etc)?

I knew the frame mounts would work, but the engine mounts that were on your 305 bolted up to the 502 without a problem?

8. Chipman

Chipman Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Here's a thread about the crossmember.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127702&highlight=th400

Can't find the paperwork from when I bought the engine. I got it from Gilbert Chev. in Walawala, Wash. They installed the oil pan, pickup and dipstick. A guy named Scott new exactly what parts were needed for my application. Also got them to dyno the engine. They did this and put it back in the crate complete. Wasn't the cheapest place, but I'll pay for good service.
    As far as the engine mounts, I used the ones off the 305. Let me know if you need anything else.

9. TX79Z28

May 3, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you Chipman, that was exactly what I was looking for! Now, like Larry the Cable Guy would say, I need to "Get er done" !

10. cam76

cam76 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2009
    ohio