ZZ4 Header Woes

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Z20AINT, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Well I found a set of 1 5/8" to 1 /3/4" stepped Dynatech headers that are listed to fit this application (Raised D-Ports, 4-speed, Angle Plugs, etc). Got'em coming. We'll see. I'll post results.

2. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Got the Dynatech headers PN (DTC-40190920125C at Summit) today and all I can say is WOW!! For $400 these are the nicest set of all headers I have ever seen. The fit is Perfect and I mean perfect. They bolt in, hit nothing (including angle plugs) and just plain fit. They even have awesome ground clearance. These headers make the other 8 sets I tried look like a joke. Especially that stupid triangle flange. I would recommend these headers to anyone. The only hiccup I had was getting a set of smaller gaskets because the ones included in the kit are obviously for a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" header set or a way larger exhaust port than my heads. Either way it was a minor thing. I just picked up a set of Mr. Gasket square port gaskets that were 1.45" x 1.55" and they fit the header absolultely perfect. Did I say these headers ROCK!!!!:) :) :)

3. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    Well well well. Guess who's having problems again, and where Google sent me.

I fired up my car today for a fair amount of time and finally got to hear a really bad exhaust leak. My driver side header is "too low" and leave a teeny-tiny amount of the top of the exhaust port above the header flange unshrouded. enough to blow out the gasket.

So, I need to get/make a gasket fit (I was using MrG 5901 - which is blown out/disintegrated from 5 minutes of run time). Or I need to slot my header bolt holes so I can help coax the header up a tad to cover the port. Of course, there's no way to remove these things unless I pull my engine out for the 14th time. So I gotta come up with the least painful solution.

The suggestion was to use a copper gasket. But after further examination, it would appear these headers aren't conforming ideally to the "D" shape of the exhaust port.

The headers are hooker super comp, 1.75" primarys. Huge. So you'd figure that big hole would completely cover that tiny "D". But... NOT FOR ME...

Any ideas?

4. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Funny you bump this. I have a customer car to figure out headers for; the ported d-port heads are one reason keeping options few. I definitely feel the first post's sentiment.

5. delaware67

delaware67 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2008
    bear,delaware
    I looked at Summit for the Dynatech's you got. They say none in stock and they are like $600. Are yours the ball and socket type collector? I am running cheap Jegs brand headers and looking to swap them out, broke in the motor when new with them and ruined the coating.

6. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Ball and socket, yes. I ordered mine years ago so the price increase does not suprise me. Just order them direct from Dynatech.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Dustin C

Dustin C New Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Hey guys! I know this is an old thread but does anyone know of any new headers out their specifically for second gens for the angle plug heads?

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i have angle plug AFRs and my american racing headers are fine.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Ball and socket are the only way to go... they NEVER leak.

Been running Borla headers on my AFR headed ZZ4 for almost 20 years now... too bad they don't make them any more AFIK. Stainless steel... not one spec of rust anywhere on them.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

my slip fits are quite trouble free as well