ZZ4 Header Woes

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Z20AINT, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Well tried Patriot 8056-1 Shorties. No better than the Hedman shorties. Outlet pointed at the oil filter and hit the frame. The only thing I can think of is Hedman 65119. Has any one installed these. PLEASE, I need pictures. They are said to work with raised exhaust ports.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    I might just be posting to myself at this point but I wanted to help others in the future. Decided to order Hedman 65119. Havn't even seen a pic and don't know what to expect.

FYI, I measured the cylinder head deck to bolt hole distace on my ZZ4 heads vs. my stock heads and the dimension is identical. Additionally, the angle of the exhaust port to valve cover rail is the within 4 deg. of each other. The ZZ4 heads being angled more toward the floor. Read beneficial to header fittment. Just thought these were some good facts. Hope it helps.

3. chocs

chocs Veteran Member

Sep 17, 2006
    n.c.
    well i just seen the post ben busy now i did have to take a rubber hammer to the floor but its not to bad as low as its going to sit no one will see it .thats y i asked how much room do u think well need?[​IMG]also its not hitten the frame at any point.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Looks nice Chocs. I thought about "persuading" the floor but I am worried about the collectors hitting the floor pan when the engine torques. I don't want to hear any rattles. Been there done that. YUK!

5. Jerry SS 396

Jerry SS 396 Veteran Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NORTH JERSEY
    Hey Man I feel yer pain ! I have a big block with raised runner Pro Topline heads. I tried everything !
    I finally bit the bullet and went for a custom set, I used stainlessheaders.com , they send you this mock up kit and you erect it yourself, then you send them the mocked up set and they build the set out of stainless. Mine are stepped from 2 inch up to 2 1/8 and have V band clamps for the collectors (no gaskets ) (added ground clearence) and O2 bungs in each collector. I can remove both sides in 20 mins with the starter in place !
    When I built my mock up set I had the nose off of the car , and it took a lot of time, when it was finished they fit awsome !!! P.S. i think there in Minnesota I spoke with Chris. 1 800 290 3920 good luck man !

6. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Neat Link! Nice to have the option!!

7. Did you try and fit the Headman 65104s ?

8. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    I tried the 66104's Ceramic Coated version. Number 7 tube hits the lower control arm pocket. If the pipe could be moved (plenty of room) 1 inch either way I would have been fine. I'm not sure what the deal is with our cars but I think many header manufacturers made templates and or jigs off of older cars with sagging mounts.

QUOTE=REARSPROCKET]Did you try and fit the Headman 65104s ?[/QUOTE]

9. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...You must have something bent/misaligned etc. in your car , cause' I've used both the hedman headers, flowtechs, AND the old Blackjack AK 5000's with NO issues with clearance/floorboards ,using GM FB alum. heads, GM vortec bowties, and older style vortecs,don't know what to tell you , I've never had an issue in the past 25 years with headers, DC:bowtie:

10. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    I sure read alot of posts where people are modifying their floor pans on this board. I can't be the only one with these issues. Just sayin.