ZZ4 Header Woes

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Z20AINT, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wait till you hear this story. Got my 73 together with a ZZ4 and thought I'll put on some headers. No big deal popular GM crate engine, popular car, what could go wrong..........

I will list the headers I have tried and their issues.

Patriot Long Tubes: Passenger collector flange hits floor board.
    Hedman Elite: Passenger header hits frame.
    Hedman Shortys for manual tranny: Cyl#1 tube will not clear the engine mount.
    Doug Thorley Tri-Y's: Will not clear the L98 D-port exhaust.
    Doug's Headers Tri-Y's: Passenger collector will not clear floor pan.
    Hooker Super Comp: Passenger collector will not clear floor pan.
    Update 9/22
    Hedman 66104: #7 tube hits LCA frame pocket
    Patriot Shorties 8056-1: Drivers side hits frame and outlet points at oil filter
    Dynatech: PERFECT FIT

I am starting to think my car has issues but it has never been wrecked, the body has new solid bushings, poly engine mounts (they are not higher that stock as I changed them out and it made no difference), and poly tranny mount (does angle engine up but not enough to affect headers as I swapped it out for stock and none of the above headers fit). I know the ZZ4 has exhaust ports raised .1" above stock but that is so small and it would not have made any of these headers fit by dropping the collector .1"

Does anyone have a suggestion? Anyone running a ZZ4 in one of these cars with headers? I am very close to having custom headers made. It just seems that this is a very common combo and I have crappy luck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...Try flowtech headers , a friend of mine used them in his 69 camaro with the zz4 crate motor, hope that helps, DC:bowtie:

3. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...I've also got hedmans and flowtech in my cars with both the GMFB aluminum heads and GM bowtie vortec heads , DC:bowtie:

4. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    What PN's by chance? Are they on a 2nd gen?

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I got the summit ceramic coated headers. My crate is very similar as the ZZ4. The passenger collector does hit the floor, but I just "massaged" a little to bolt up the exhaust. I think all the headers I have had in the past none were a "perfect" fit, some get in the way of clutch linkage/springs, others hit the floor, others hit the a/c suit case...You just have to keep in mind that headers for our cars are not designed soley for 70-81 Camaros, they are designed to fit other vehicles too.

6. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...Been about 10 yrs or so now ,sorry, both headers are the same ,size wise, flange to collector, height ,etc, 1 set is on my 79 camaro the other is on my 76 monte, got mine from parts america, no leaks using mr gasket ultra seals, also if your a veteran you get 10 % off , hope that helps, DC:bowtie:

7. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

May 29, 2007
    Minnesota
    I hear what you are saying but my car has had a rotisserie restoration and I am not about to bash my floor. How the heck can no one make a 2nd gen specific header? There were litterally millions of these cars made!

8. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    Put the Tri-Y's on and move on. If the small interference bothers you, do a little grinding or elongate the bolt holes. These headers would be the best performance fit for a mild engine like a ZZ4.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wow, is custom out of the question? I saw an episode of Horsepower TV where they had custom headers made for thier Nova?

10. delaware67

delaware67 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2008
    bear,delaware
    I have a 72 with a ZZ4 in it. I used Jegs brand ceramic coat headers. the passenger side was a tight fit. Didn't want the flange touching the floor pan so I just dinged the floor pan abit to allow for some space. If you take your time it is not noticed since the flange will just sit in the indentation. I couldn't figure out why the passenger side was such an issue when the driver side fit great, I think it has something to do with keeping the tubes equal length.