Zooms Relic 80Z

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by zooms80z, May 8, 2014.

  1. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    I was able to make some significant progress over my time off for the holidays.

    I removed the old drivers side torque box. Cleaned and primered the area for the new one.

    [​IMG]

    The Camaro Central torque box came. I had to drill 2 of the holes for the leaf spring mount. The part did not have them drilled. I also had to reuse the E brake cable mount.

    [​IMG]

    Here it is fitted just before welding.

    [​IMG]

    After welding in the torque box, I fitted and welded the rear floor section.

    [​IMG]

    Then I went back to the front. Since I was not able to get anything to fit correctly using the front tunnel and floor pan sections of the Sherman pans, I cut out the entire front section of one of my parts cars and cleaned everything up.

    [​IMG]

    Then I cut out some of what I had already fixed to fit these pieces. Everything fits well in rough form using a combination of the original floor pieces. Now it's just a matter of final fitting and welding

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    Still tons of welding and finish work to do, but I feel like there is light the end of the tunnel replacing this floor.
     
  2. A&A79

    A&A79 Member

    99
    0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Mooresville, IN
    I know how you feel about the floor boards. Very nice welding work on the floors and torque boxes.
     
  3. ls1jorge

    ls1jorge Member

    42
    0
    Mar 18, 2014
    San Antonio Tx
    nice progress man
     
  4. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Thanks! I've been checking out your project too. You and your daughter are doing a great job! The work and final result will be something she'll always remember.
     
  5. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Thanks! Appreciate it.
     
  6. Bus79Z

    Bus79Z Member

    51
    0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Midwest
    I agree, you did a great job at welding! Keep up the great progress!
     
  7. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Moving on!

    So, here's the latest....

    All major parts of the floor have been tacked in. I'll get the finish welding done later. I'm burned out on messing with this floor. I call it Franken floor since there are so many seams. I definitely did not plan on it turning out this way, but once the welds are dressed and I shoot Raptor liner on it, you won't see it.

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    I located and welded in the 4 speed hump using measurements and pictures from members on this board. I also used my console to make sure it was right.

    [​IMG]

    So, like I said.....I'm burned out on working on this floor, so I decided to attack the other areas of the car I know are bad. Both rockers were crushed by the PO who used them as jacking points. I cut out the passenger side area that was crushed. The rest of the rocker forward is in great shape so it will stay.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The quarter panel area behind the door is filled with bondo, so I cut that out and found some one had fixed it before. They used another piece of metal and brazed it right on top. The outer wheel house is bad in this area too along with the quarter panel brace which is typical rot for these cars. I also had the pleasure of finding a mouse nest in there.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  8. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Tail Panel

    The tail panel on this car is bad as well as the inner tail panel. I ordered both along with the drivers side rocker. I spent a few hours last weekend cutting it out.

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    The center section of the trunk gutter which is formed into the tail panel is bad. There is a separate piece that is part of the gutter that is not being remade. I cut this piece out of one of my parts cars.

    [​IMG]

    There is far more rust in this car than I expected, but it is what it is.
     
  9. zooms80z

    zooms80z Veteran Member

    187
    0
    Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    T10

    I also recently picked up a recently rebuilt Richmond ST10 with a Hurst shifter and correct drive shaft yolk.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. Eighty1Camaro

    Eighty1Camaro Veteran Member

    616
    3
    Apr 28, 2013
    south central Indiana
    Looking good on the progress!
     

Share This Page