Zooms Relic 80Z

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by zooms80z, May 8, 2014.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Is that the cage nut for the subframe bolt you broke? I haven't messed with my subframe bolts yet - afraid I'll break or strip one, but will have to replace the bushings sooner rather than later.

Nice thread - good luck

2. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Thanks! Yes, unfortunately I broke 3 of them. I sprayed them before trying to remove them and they still broke. There wasn't much left of them bolt thickness wise, which is why they broke. If you alternate loosening and tightening when they start getting hard to turn, you may get lucky. It just depends on the condition of the bolt.

3. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Made a little progress over the weekend.

Cut the passenger side floor out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the sherman complete passenger side pan I scored for 80 bucks off Craigslist. It had bad surface rust, but it cleaned up really well with a wire wheel on a grinder.

[​IMG]

I'll work on cleaning up the floor supports then hit them with epoxy primer.

4. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Haven't spent much time on the car until this past weekend. I dropped the rear end and gas tank......sadly there is nothing left of build sheet. Completely unreadable.

I fixed spots of rust in the inner wheel well and inner rocker and worked on fitting the passenger side floor pan. In order to do that, I had to cut most of the tunnel out. I also removed the torque box because it was rusted. I was almost going to order a new one, but decided to fix it instead. One thing about these full pans is that they are advertised as fitting the later 2nd Gen cars, but they are definitely the earlier floor stampings. No big deal, but for anyone thinking of using them, just know that the 2 seat mount holes closest to the tunnel are not in the correct spot. I'll have to close them up and redrill them.

One another note, the PO really liked to drive this car on Iowa dirt roads. The amount of dirt coming out of this car amazes me. I can see why the rear frame rots on these cars. Dirt gets packed in there and has no where to go.

My cell phone takes crappy pics, so I skipped the ones or the rust repair. Here is a quick one of the initial pan fit.

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my progress....or lack of...LOL!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    In floor pan hell.....LOL! I am spending way more time than I thought fitting this floor. I had to patch rust in the inner rocker panel. I also fixed rust in the torque box. I've had the floor pan in and out of the car about a dozen times checking the fit and cutting old bits and pieces of the old floor near the toe board.

Even though they are advertised as fitting 70-81 Camaros, these Sherman pans are not made to fit the 75-81 cars due to the cat convertor area. The stamping is different right at the main support/ seat mount area. Glad I saved all the old floor. To fix this, I cut out the area that doesn't fit and will be grafting the old floor to the new.

Inner rocker. The PO used the outer rocker as a jacking point and crushed it. I have a new full outer rocker and will be cutting out the crushed area so i didn't bother cleaning anything up inside.

[​IMG]

Patched

[​IMG]

Torque box rust

[​IMG]

Made a piece and welded it in

[​IMG]

Sherman pan cut out over the main floor support

[​IMG]

I'll use this section to make the pan fit

[​IMG]

6. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Back to the floor pan saga......the passenger side toe pan area and over the forward brace at the top just flat out does not fit! I made some relief cuts in an effort to make it fit, but I realized I am making way more work for myself. At this point I was getting really frustrated, so to fix this, I'll have to go back to one of my parts cars and cut the front floor and toe board sections out. As I said in a previous post, I replaced the floors in my brothers car that is now a parts car. It has the correct floor stamping for both sides

[​IMG]

As you can see, the new tunnel is not fitting the brace at all. I grafted my old tunnel area into this. Sorry, no pics

[​IMG]

Moving to the drivers side. I welded in a cross brace to keep things from moving around. I kept the drivers side forward and rear brace section intact since there was no rust. I am just going to replace the rear seat pan and the section forward of the front brace to the toe pan so my new sherman pan is getting chopped up.

I started to cut out the old drivers side rear floor and found the torque box is pretty much gone. I'm not even going to attempt to fix this one. I ordered a new one from Camaro Central.

[​IMG]

Lessons learned from this experience....it would have just been easier to spend the money and buy the whole replacement floor with the braces and torque boxes, then cut out the needed toe boards from my parts car.

I'll just keep plugging along and get it done.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  7. Bus79Z

Bus79Z Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Midwest
    Making some good progress! It'll be nice to have some solid floors again!

8. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Yes it will. I still have lots of work to get the floor finished, but it's getting closer. I can't wait to roll the sub frame back under this car!

9. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    Looks like it's coming along. It's cool seeing so many others that are traveling down parallel paths as me with their projects. A piece at a time...

10. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Thanks! I didn't plan on the floor being a piece at a time, but that is how it's turning out. At this point, I'm all about what ever works and gets the job done.