Zooms Relic 80Z

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by zooms80z, May 8, 2014.

1. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    I worked at a Chevy dealer in high school with my Dad in 1984. I was 16 and wanted a Camaro bad. (I was driving a 74 Vega and hated it. ) During the summer, two 2nd Gen Camaros were traded in on the new 3rd Gen cars. One was a red automatic 74 Type LT, and the other, a Black 79Z 4 speed car. My Dad helped my buy the 74, we couldn't afford the Z. Ever since then I've wanted a black late 2nd Gen 4 speed Z28.

In 2003 a nice original black 80Z came up for sale locally. Tried to buy it and it was already sold. One of friends picked it up, so a few months later I found a nice original copper 80Z and bought it. I should have waited and kept searching, but I told myself I'll make this car what I want. The car was very rusty and the drive train was shot. I still have it, but it has sat because it's beyond fixing. I didn't have the heart to scrap it because it was in such original shape.

2 weeks ago, I came across another black T-Top 80Z. The body is in good condition and the price was right, so I bought it. It's an automatic , but I'll be switching over to a 4 speed.....so now, my copper 80Z will be a parts car for this one.

[​IMG]

This is the one I bought in 2003. Looks good in pics, but it's very rusty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Welcome.Looks like a good start.At least you have to go to far for parts.:bowtie:

3. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Thanks for the welcome! I also have an almost rust free 79 RS shell, so between the copper car, the RS shell, and other parts I have laying around, I should be able to get this car running and somewhat presentable soon.

4. Panther

Panther Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Central W.V.
    I bet you wold like to have that Vega now. The Camaro looks like a good start especially with the parts cars. What's the story with the Nova peeking behind the Camaro , and welcome to the forum

Ed

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. Bus79Z

Bus79Z Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Midwest
    That car is in great condition! And at least you will have a good parts car close by. That is something most of us don't get! Lookin forward to the progress!

6. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    LOL....I hated that car....SLOW....but yeah, it would be cool to have now. The Nova is a 78 that I built for my son. Picked it up for 300 bucks with no drive train or interior. I spent the winter putting new floors, bucket seat mounts, an interior and a motor and trans in it for his 16th birthday. He's 19 now and after fixing the car for him countless times after he tore it up, :mad: , he traded the car for an Eclipse that my brother had. Now it's adult driven and being taken care of.

7. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    One can never have too many Camaros, lol. Looks like you have a nice start there.

8. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.
    Trying to keep this thread alive!

Over the past few weeks I have only been able to get the front of the car tore down. I got tied up helping my brother in law fix his Honda. New head.....I hate working on Honda's :mad: ......and then went on vacation for 2 weeks.

My plan is to rebuild the suspension and brakes, clean and paint everything up front, epoxy prime the all front body parts, then dump the motor and trans in and drive it. I'm not using the original fenders. They were rusted beyond repair near the bottoms. Right now I have a guy sandblasting the replacement fenders I found and the bumper support. I'm stripping the sub frame and once I'm done with that, he'll sandblast it as well.

I have pics and will get them posted soon.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Looking forward to seeing the new pics!

10. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2009
    fremont,ne.