ZedSled Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by kttrucks, Apr 19, 2015.

1. kttrucks

kttrucks Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Nashville TN
    Hey guys, I've been posting on facebook way more than here... sorry! But we're making good progress on the 78 Z. Take a look at this new Hands On cars Episode... there's a shout-out to Nasty at the end, just wanted to say thanks for the support and the great place to check in on details and tips from you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smudf-wpsoY

Thanks! Kevin Tetz.

2. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    Car is coming along nicely Kevin. Good job!

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
  4. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I can't wait to see how that smoothed out filler panel looks with paint on it! I might steal that idea for my 79. When I painted my car the last time, I also filled in the gap behind the doors at the rocker panel. I'm also considering welding the fender extensions on and smoothing that out, have you thought about that? Oh and about the style lines, I've read about guys putting tape down and sanding to the tape to make the lines razor straight. Lots of good tips in that video, thanks, and it's nice to see a late 2nd gen getting some love!

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I like what you are doing . Great job for newbes like me.

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've never seen that trick with the tulip panel and the trunk lid, but then again I did something similar with the 1/4 panels-to-doors and doors-to-fenders to get the panel faces more lined up with one another.

7. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    Looks awesome man, keep up the good work and the videos are cool!

8. kttrucks

kttrucks Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Nashville TN
    We're getting ready for paint on the Sled!! I had it primed, what I thought was the final time, but while spraying the Black Eastwood primer, I noticed a couple of waves in some panels, and blocked again ( 4th round of blocking for straightness... It's getting old! my arms are sore, and it better be straight! I'm gonna puke if I find waves when I shoot paint.) Point being, it ain't done till its done. Regardless.... I'm ready to move on to the next phase. When we shoot (video) the paintjob, we're gonna tell the "behind the scenes" story and hopefully do some troubleshooting tech.... what the TV shows NEVER show you... Even when I was the technical producer on TRUCKS! it was a real battle to show the " not-so-glamorous" stuff that happens in the booth and between coats. what if a bug falls in? what do you do with a dirt nib? what if the airhose flops into the door? what if your sleeve brushes the hood? there's a solution and a fix to ALL of these things, and you guys that paint know how to fix them, but there's also a ton of people that want to learn how.... I'm kind of sickly hoping that something goes wrong so we can show the fix... that's the challenge for me. I've been painting a long time ,and don't misunderstand, things can go badly with spraying, but after hundreds of paintjobs, maybe thousands, technique is muscle memory at this point and it's fun to do, not particularily stressful. I'll always update Facebook, but I'll try to do more here too. The only bitch about this forum is that I have to host pics on another account, and sometimes the hassle of uploading and linking is just too much time involved to jump through the hoops. Sorry if that's a "diva" thing to say, but I wish it was simpler to attach photos from my PC.

regardless, thanks for the kind words and support.... I've learned a ton here.

KT.

9. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Kevin,
    I have a Photobucket app on my phone and have it set up to automatically upload photos I take on my phone into Photobucket. If my phone crashes I have all my photos and videos in there and don't have to worry about loosing them. Then when I'm ready to post I open Nasty forum and photobucket. Copy link, past link......easy as pie.

10. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    You should come film me painting some day, something always goes wrong. It could be a whole show on what not to do hahahaha.