Zbugger's '77 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by zbugger, Jun 13, 2008.

1. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

So I installed the DSE front sway bar this afternoon. I had none of the issues others have had with the big Hotchkis bars. This one is the same thing. here's a comparison shot of it next to the solid 1.25" bar it's replacing.

[​IMG]

I also started the restoration/cleanup of the tail light housings. I started with this...

[​IMG]

Primed it...

[​IMG]

And then sprayed the "chrome" paint on it. Here's the finished product.

[​IMG]

It's good enough to make the lights bright enough to be seen. Once the paint fully dries I'll be installing the LED light panel. Oh yeah.... Here's a shot of that too.

[​IMG]

I'll see if I can hook up a battery to see how bright it is. I got it at www.musclerodz.com if you want to get one for yourself. Thanks again Mike!!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

Here's a few more parts I've collected and am going to be installing soon. Start with the DSE solid body bushings with the stainless bolts and a custom steering shaft and coupler. The coupler will replace the rag joint.

[​IMG]

There's also the DSE tie rod adjusters and a GM Type II power steering pump. The pump won't be installed till I get the engine in. It's mounted to a DSE bracket. I still have to get the pulley, hoses, and remote reservoir for it. Oh, and a cooler too.

[​IMG]

Then I have the DSE subframe connectors. That one will take a bit to install because I gotta get the car someplace where I can weld them in.

[​IMG]

I also plan on driving the car in the rain. I get very tired of turning the wipers on and off during a slight drizzle, so I got the DSE wiper motor. It's the recessed park version. I'm glad the washer pump is on the bottle instead of on the stock wiper motor. You'll also see the billet hood pin. I'm kinda into the clean subtle touches...

[​IMG]

If you look at that last picture, you'll see the wiper switch. I had to custom make the bracket that it mounts too. DSE sends one that mounts to the stock instrument bezel. I'm using a custom bezel and had to make that bracket to hold it in place. I just have to paint it black and get a button installed to be able to use the washer option.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nice job on the tails. I need to get off my lazy ass and do that.

4. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

Thanks Scott. I also forgot to mention that I may have to get new lenses. Mine are cracked to death. It'll be a couple months before I can do that though. Got bills to catch up on.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good Allen, too bad the lenses are toast.

6. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    Great work!!

But hte one problem I have with that LED setup is that it only projects light in one direction, so where it wraps around to the side, no light will be scene. That is why the early 1st gens had marker lights because there tail lights only projected light towards the back. A normal light bulb projects light in all directions and this is why I have no changed to the LEDs yet.
    Maybe you could hook a second panel up and make it point on an angle.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

there is a bulb on the side too

sidemarker--main--backup
    [​IMG]

8. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

KJ, here's a shot of the wrap around side.

[​IMG]

You can see a hole where a 197 bulb is placed. It's the marker light location. I have a little LED bulb that goes there as well. I ran that for a while before the car went down for rebuilding.

9. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

Thanks a bunch, Mary!!! I really appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

Ross Racing pistons and Scat 5.7" rods waiting for the crank so I can get the shortblock together. It's taking a bit to save the money up for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]