Z2871RS Project comes back to life

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by z2871rsbb396, Feb 9, 2011.

1. z2871rsbb396

z2871rsbb396 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    I also got another TKO issue/ question

The tranny is really close to the tunnel, so close I would be almost worried on getting it any closer. This is where the crossmember has it sitting. So all is well.... NOT EVEN, I did some checking and the fan rubs the top off the shroud for about 4 inches at the top of the arc, well, to solve that I just took it off for now. Again, I wanted to drive it and see what other problems I was going to create. I of course first tried to solve the clearance issue by pulling it all the way to the edge of the elongated mounting slots.

Any one with a TKO and shroud clearance issues,? I am going to solve it with a couple of electric fans, but I thought it was interesting that the swap created this problem.

2. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Now that the tranny is about ready to be checked off the list. I will be starting on the interior.

I have new door pads, arm rests, carpet, 4th GEN seats covered in BLACK, door weather strip, etc all ready to be reinstalled. I got my rear seat back from the upholestry guy so it matches the front seats.

I think I came up with a slick LO profile way to mount the drivers power seat in the car. If it is a success I will post pictures of how I did it. so far all I had to purchase was 4 grade 5 carriage bolts and self locking lock nuts. The rest of the parts were from the other seat tracks, and some cutting, grinding and drilling.

I also should get the rest of my pro touring F-body parts in next week.
    New upper and lower a-arms, coils, rear springs, shocks, front and rear sway bars, and solid mount body bushings.... I am so happy spring is here (by the calendar at least) not real spring weather lately but I am looking forward to some more wrench turning.

3. hoov81

hoov81 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    kenosha, WI
    Looks great. Keep it up

4. bitchin'71SS

bitchin'71SS Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Great build. I wish I could help you with the tko swap, I'm not quite there yet.. Must be awesome cruising with o/d, I cant wait to do mine.

5. DentDude

DentDude Veteran Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Looks awesome!! Makes me wanna drag my '70 RS out of my parents garage and get busy!!!

6. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Its been forever since I posted on the ole internet... Looking back on this post, many things in life have also updated.

Moved to Florida, got divorced, found a wonderful woman, Bought a Harley and kinda put the Camaro on the back burner... Well, its TIME again, to get this sled back into the rotation of taking money out of my wallet and turning heads when I drive it.

I did get the interior redone.. Had the rear seats covered to match the front seats, and redid everything but the dash and headliner.... Not happy with the carpet fit, but when I put a center console in the car, I will fix it then.

Got the hood painted, to match the paint.

Years ago, before moving to Florida in 2011, I bought all new suspension and sway bars, a-arms, shocks etc. and FINALLY after about 4 years of moving the suspension around , moving, etc. I finally installed all it over the course of two winters...

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Since the tranny install, I forgot I put in a dual speed Mark VIII electric fan. New side glass, new windshield. door panels etc.

Coming up this year ( the new Tanks Inc. tank should be here this week ) I am going to put on an FItech EFI system, Once it comes off back order I should have the tank and fuel lines installed.

I can't wait to step this thing forward a little in technology. I think this will be the gateway drug to a LSA motor swap...

I can't wait to throw that POS Edelbroke carb in the trash... Put an AEM wideband fuel gauge to tune it, and it made it alot better, but I am tired of tinkering with it. I am thinking of making a how to rebuild it video ( me smashing it with a sledge hammer )

Hopefully in won't be a year or so before I post up any progress pictures.

Kirt

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your car looks great. You can tell you put in the time when you worked on it in the past. When you go back to it, it pays off huge.

I got my '70 when I was 18, in 1987. Like yours, many memories, mistreatments, motors, trannys, rears, tons of hours and schlepping parts from house to house. Congrats to making it live large again.

I did a Fast EZEFI in a gen I sbc. Well see if that makes the car more livable without gong LS.