Z2871RS Project comes back to life

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by z2871rsbb396, Feb 9, 2011.

1. z2871rsbb396

z2871rsbb396 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Thats what she said :eek: ...LOL

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
  3. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
  4. 80turbota

80turbota Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Irrigon Oregon
    Wow. Love the look. 4 speed and a bigblock. Cool. I like the thought of once a year burnout. the marks lasting all year long as a reminder. I am thinking that is not a bad idea.

5. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    My tranny arrived on Thursday... I am excited to finally make this car more of a crusin machine...

Lets see if I can make this a clickable thumbnail...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Did a little garage work before I dive into the transmission transformation.

I installed a double set of florescent lights and a single set that I have been moving around for a long time. Put them on there own switch and added another outlet.

The new lights switched off...
    [​IMG]

WAH LA ... Lights on.
    [​IMG]

I hate working in the dark, I could never be a coal miner...

7. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Time for a little car work. I know from the cars early days when I put an automatic in the car, I had removed the manual shifter sheet metal hump. I forgot how UGLY of a job I did getting the thing out. I was working with NO power tools and it shows.. It looks like I chewed the darn thing off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the new part, I hope to get it installed, welded in this weekend. I want to install it prior to taking this tranny out so I can get it in the right spot. Plus, I need to drive it to a buddy of a buddy house who has a body shop. I don't want welding sparks on my new tranny...

[​IMG]

Thank goodness it is large enough and should cover most of the ugly!

[​IMG]

8. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    To get to the hump, as one can tell from the pictures. I pulled out of the interior out of it. I got it all cleaned up and ready for some sound deadener. My oh my, the 40 year old tar sound deadener came out HARD in some places, and in some it just pulled right off.

I am pleasantly surprised how good the floors are. I thought they were good because the underside is in great shape. Before I put any deadener in the car I am gonna coat the rust colored spots. IIRC i need to use something called POR?? 15?? I know eastwood has something I need. maybe even the local autoparts store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Interior down to the metal... except for the dash.... I don't think I am going to go that deep....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Holy Shiot, I finally and I mean finally got my bellhousing aligned, tranny installed, cross memeber issues addressed (the one they sent me was 1/2 to short on the width) speedo adapter that I don't think I am going to use after all, driveshaft measured and made and shipped to the house. After some more frustration, I actually started the car, and it moved under its own power once again.

I have one issue, and that is the e-brake cable attachment from the left and right side on my car was routed above the exhaust, and the "C" clip that connectes the cables rubs the driveshaft... :mad:
    Any one installing a TKO 600 have this issue?

I took it apart and zipped tied it up under the car for now, I had to drive it.

Dodging some thunder clouds, I went for a short cruise down the interstate and back, AHHH nothing like crusiing at 80 without the motor sounding like it wants to fly apart. MY tach was giving me issues, (sticking) so I did not get an accurate RPM check @ 80 YET, but that will come later. All I know is it is SAWEET crusing with traffic and not feeling like I am still in 3rd gear. :D

I did not take many pictures, as most was done under a dark car in the gararge.