Z2871RS Project comes back to life

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by z2871rsbb396, Feb 9, 2011.

1. z2871rsbb396

z2871rsbb396 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    I have decided to start a project thead, one for motivation, and another to keep track of how long it takes me to get things done.

I will post some background of this car. (I bought it in 1986 the summer before my senior year in high school) It was my daily driver until about 1992, since then it has lived most of it life inside the garage.

Looking forward to doing some things to it in 2011 that I have been wanting to do since well... 1986..

Kirt

2. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    A little more detailed timeline
    1986 I talked my parents into helping me purchase the car. Cost $2000, bought car, drove around the block and into my dad’s body shop. We along with some buddies, stripped the car down to bare metal, took apart as far as he would let me, (doors, fenders, hood, glass, etc.) fixed very little rust, took off MANY layers of paint, around 8 layers on the top) the car was paint weather checkered BAD!. 3 months of working day and night during the summer and I was a spoiled senior in high school with a fast car that looked GOOD!
    I am glad the car can't talk, it would have some very interesting stories. Getting stuck to the rear axle in mud, knocked out of gear on a hill while knocking boots with my girl, racing buddies, etc. Oh my…. What fun it was to be young.

Sometime during the military, 1989 probably, got the bright idea that shifting was a pain in the rear, installed a turbo 350 automatic, retained 4 speed for future project.

1991,last year in the military, I had a 82 Chevy truck that the harmonic balance bolt broke and came loose and ate the woodruff keyway out of the crank. The Camaro motor (350) not original came out of car and into truck, car sat for months without a motor. Got out of military, pulled car back to Montana from Tennessee with IROC Z on two wheel dolly. Put car in storage, sat motorless.

1992, Acquired a small block 400 that someone spun the rod bearing out of. Rebuilt, installed in car. Had buddy rebuild the auto, car ran like a scalded dog. The car was back to life.

1993 - The car had been beat up and had typical lumps and bumps from being a daily driver. I was living back at home after a short 4 year military stint and a year and a half working as a mechanic in a Chrysler garage. I was working for my dad in the body shop, he decided to go on vacation, I decided to pull the car into the shop and strip it to metal and start over again. Wasn’t he SURPRISED, in a not so pleasant way!! I drove the car for about 2 months on and off. Purchased a short wheel base Chevy truck and decided it needed that 400 small block motor. Out the motor came, sold the tranny, car went back into storage. I moved to Kentucky, left the car in Montana.

94-95 sometime, acquired 396, big block, steel crank that someone yet again, spun the rod bearing out of. Lugged this thing from house to house as we moved around the county.

95 got married to my wonderful wife who I have been with since 92

2001, decided it was time again for the Camaro. Hauled it back to Kentucky, had machine work done to motor, installed in car, currently this motor is still in car… Reinstalled the 4 speed., Installed steel cowl hood, original hood would not close due to height of carburetor and is still not painted and in it pretty black primer.

July 2001 had first child, July 2003 had second child.

Drove the car a little locally here and there around town, I have not done anything to it. Longest trip it made was to papa johns so I could get a free pizza, we like to leave big black marks in the subdivision that last for about a year and smoke the neighbors out every once and a while !

2011, 10 years after the motor build up later… IT IS THE YEAR OF THE CAMARO AGAIN.

This years plans:
    Installing a TKO600 tranny. This is paid for as of yesterday and I hope to get in late this week, early next week. I hope the garage concrete will warm up soon !!! I am ready to start the install so I can actually drive this car down the interstate @ 80 without fear of motor parts departing the bottom end.

Ordered 4th gen seats COVERED in black, not ebony . Paid for these yesterday also, should have them shipped in a couple weeks.

Want to do this year still.
    Sound deaden interior, new carpet, add a center console, new door pads and arm rest pads, autometer gauge package.

Install new ring and pinion once I see where I can go with the ratio once the tranny is installed. Currently 3:55’s

Later in the cars life after I save some more cash.
    (as you can tell, I am patient when it comes to this car.)
    Suspension from F Body.
    New Rims and Tires.
    Vintage auto air or similar air conditioning.
    New Glass and trim.

Kirt

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    WOW
    I wrecked all the cars I owned in my teens,including a 72 442

You definitely have some staying power

Post up some pics

4. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    It sounds like your determind ot ge tit going. Sounds like a nice project.

5. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Here comes some pictures. These are REALLY grainy, mind you they were taken with a film camera, 25 years ago. I scanned them with a POS printer/scanner.

The color and original color of the car was black with white stripes.
    The paint was not original, LOTS of paint on the top. I think the car was black, white, blue, orange, etc....

[​IMG]

I was a little excited, and forgot to take pictures before we took all the chrome off.

[​IMG]

6. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Paint starting to come off

[​IMG]

Rear Shot.

[​IMG]

7. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Ready for the first round of metal etching primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  8. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Fast forward the summer...., but still in 1986...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Big BLOCK action... yes, I painted it red...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuffed in the car... NO HOOD YET..

[​IMG]

10. z2871rsbb396

Jun 25, 2001
    Florida Pan Handle
    Current interior pictures...
    It is ready for an upgrade !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]