Z28 window trim

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by buckeye79, Mar 1, 2008.

1. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crestline, Ohio
    I am looking at buying a 1980 z28 that the guy says is a true z. The car has chrome window trim and I always thought that true z's had black. Can anybody help with this? :confused:

2. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    the only true way tell is by the vin and the cowl tag .... this site will tell you how to decode the numbers and letters

3. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    A little bit documentation would help too!

It should have come with black window trim originally if it's a real Z, but the black paint flaked off a lot of the time, so that alone won't tell you if it's legit or not.

4. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have seen a lot of Z's that had the black switched to stainless, or because the paint faded it just got polished out. A quick trim tag check will tell you Z28 or not.

5. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crestline, Ohio
    Guess I need to have the guy send me a picture of the cowl and vin tag. Car is about 60 miles from me, but one heck of a deal if it is a real Z. $1500 - needs some work but still runs, with original motor and tranny.
    Thanks guys!!!

6. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    A1978 Z I bought in ca. way back from the original owner ,had the stainless window trim, of the cars I've seen at shows ,original or what not , they have come either style, just my 2 cents, DC

7. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    The window trim should be black on a Z. That being said, the black came off pretty easily, so it could be that they stripped off the rest of the black and didn't bother having it repainted or powdercoated.

8. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    My trim looks like a dalmation. The black flakes off easily. I have some stripping and painting to do. Right on the cowl tag it will have Z28 stamped right on it. Real easy to see. One thing I was told, as these cars came down the line, if they did not have what they needed they would substitute whatever they could. That being said, my car beige with camel interior has black seatbelts, and they are factory. And mine is not the only one i've seen tha way. So, with that said, maybe it was as line change, but I would tend to think someone just got tired of the flaking black paint and polished them out.

9. latindragons

latindragons Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Fishers, IN, USA
    My '79 is a real Z and it had polished trim all around. I couldn't see a hint of black on any of it. Once I get them all off, however, it's to the powder coater's we go!

10. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Keep in mind that if it's a Van Nuys car, it won't say Z28 on the cowl tag.