Z28 wheels

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by nogoty, Nov 19, 2006.

1. nogoty

nogoty Veteran Member

May 10, 2006
    if I use an early 70's standard five spoke Z wheel on my 80 Z with the three originals, will it look exactly the same or are there some differances? Pease dont say there diff. cause I already bought one from E-Bay and its on the way!!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It will look slightly different. The hole in the 5 spoke part of the rim where the valve stem comes through will be a different shape. Also, you will notice that on the early rims, the trim ring fits flush with the wheel so only the side facing out from the car is visible. On the later rims, you also see about 1/4" of the side of the trim ring when it is installed.
    The details are here:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/stegmiller/z28_wheels.htm

There were 4 different versions of this wheel. Once you have your wheel and see exactly which version it is, you can probably trade that one for one like the ones on your car. I think you will find quite a few people on this board that have some, and if anyone is living in your area, you could probably work a trade without having to pay for expensive shipping.

3. nogoty

nogoty Veteran Member

May 10, 2006
    Is it going to stick out like a sore thumb to someone who doesnt know alot about camaros? I dont mind if it looks alittle different

4. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    The only people who'll notice any difference (and it would be nit-picking) is folks like chuck, me, gary... those who know what the differences are (as evidenced from above). But we keep our mouths shut.

For all practical purposes, the wheel will match whatever is on the car now. Nobody will notice.

5. nogoty

nogoty Veteran Member

May 10, 2006
    Thanx madmike! Thats what I wanted to hear:D Ill get the right one someday at a swapmeet but I jumped the gun on ebay and didnt research first Oh Well. Are you the guy that started this site? If so thanx It helps alot!

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The flush mounted trim ring looks better than the later rims, so if you can get more it will make the rims look better.

7. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Germantown, Maryland
    Trade Z28 wheel?

NOGOTY - I may have a deal for you... I need an early 70's Z28 wheel that's correct for my 73 to complete my set. I believe I have two of the later 80's style Z28 wheels described here and would be glad to swap a wheel with you. Wheel is perfect and painted. You will probably need to paint for your needs. Has the OEM finish on it. Not sure what paint was used. I think it was the MX101 or MX102 "grey". I can get you a pic and the date codes if you want. I need to unbox them to get an accurate inventory. Anyway, if you're interested, let me know. I got stuck with a mis-matched set also before I learned the hard way to do my research first.

MadMike / Gary / CamarosRUS - thanks for this awesome info regarding these wheels! You guys are the gurus!

8. nogoty

nogoty Veteran Member

May 10, 2006
    OK camaro73lt mine is an AU code I still havent actually gotten it yet should have been here by this Fri. but the holiday stuff will screw that up. But it is supposed to have the correct beauty rings and center cap and it has been painted black so Ill let you know when I get it!

9. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA