Z28 wheels and trim

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Petescamaro, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
    Hi

I have just bought a set of Z28 wheels with the chrome trim rims.

I want to repaint the rims. So do I sandblast them or use paint remover. Also 2 of the rim appear to of been not painted at all.

Whats the color code for the factory grey and should I have them Powder coated or Painted?

Second.
    The trim rims are in ok condition with some scratches and dents, whats the best way to get them looking nice again

Ta

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You can sandblast or strip with chemical. Both work, and both are a fair amount of work. The correct paint code for the 70-74 wheels was a special Ditzler laquer paint DDL32961. Laquer has become obsolete and is almost impossible to find today. The original formula has a pebble additive and a suede additive in it. The suede additive removes any shine, and the pebble additive gives the paint a rough finish. The final look then is that the wheel looks like a rough cast aluminum or magnesium wheel. Duplicating that finish can be difficult with available paints today. Powder coating will also have a difficult time duplicating the correct finish.
    Do a search here for "DDL32961" and find out what others have done with their wheels.

3. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
  4. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    Year one has the correct lacquer formula if you are looking for 100% correct. Otherwise I would powdercoat

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If you sand blast them, you'll have the rough final finish.
    [​IMG]

6. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
    thanks for that

Now I got to try and find someone in Australia that can get the right paint for me :rolleyes:

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Not so.
    Like Gary said, that is achieved with a paint additive. Sandblasting will not roughen up a steel wheel. If that were the case a lot of cars would have the same finish.:crazy: ;)
    These were blasted and dupli color spray bombed. Super smooth finish.
    [​IMG]

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    For comparison, this wheel has been repainted with Ditzler DDL32961. Note the zero shine finish, and the rough finish of the paint.
    [​IMG]

9. joselk1

joselk1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Waterford, MI
    I sandblasted my wheels and powder coated them with Silver Cast powder that is textured. i think they are a bit dark but very close to original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]