Z28 stripes on SSs

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by JT71SS, Oct 17, 2007.

1. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

Jan 26, 2003
    McConnelsville Ohio USA
    I just wanted to know a lot of people add the Z28 stripes on there SSs do you guys think it should of been a option from the factory to get a SS with stipes?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I like the Z28 stripes, but I don't have them on my SS. Every owner has to decide for themselves if they want them on their car. There is no rule that says you have to keep the car like it originally was.
    As long as we all know that an SS didn't originally come with the Z28 stripes and try to convince someone that they did, there is nothing wrong with putting them on your car.

3. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is nice that the 1st gens had various strip packages for the different models. I think the 2nd gens not only look better with them but I think they are a bit too plain without something. My SS has a cowl hood with stripes and I think it looks great. It also has Z-rims, a roller cam set-up, headers, traction bars and a lot of other stuff that did not come on SS cars from the factory. But personalizing a car is positively period correct for the musclecar era. And even though the factory did not send out SS cars with stripes, I had a buddy that had a white SS car delivered new in the summer of 1971 that Penske Chevrolet painted black stripes on.

4. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

Jan 26, 2003
    McConnelsville Ohio USA
    I dont have them on my 71 SS which is a factory SS and dont plan on putting them on I do like them though but since 1st gen SSs had different stripe options and 70-72s didnt I just wondered if you guys thought that 70-72s should had a option for them.

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I like em and am doing them on my SS.The SS badges say it all anyway,but the stripes look cool too.

6. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    the ss didnt have them, but i put them on my 71 ss with the 402 which has the blacked out tail panel,it just makes the car look better with for me.

7. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Reno NV,
    I like them on the cars and while the factory did not put them on a lot of dealers added them. As Adams stated the dealer installed them on his car. My father worked for a Chevy dealership in the early 70's and I know of two 71 SS's that left that dealership with Z stripes along with several plane jane Camaro's. So while the factory did not do it a lot of cars left the lot new with them.

8. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

Jan 26, 2003
    McConnelsville Ohio USA
    Never thought of dealers added them. I know alot of people have put them on and back then alot of people probablly wanted them. I think it should of been a factory option.

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    My 71LS-3 is very original...BUT it has the Z stripes. Don't let your SS leave home without them!