Z28 project for my 14 year old son

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by leemaro, Nov 13, 2011.

1. leemaro

leemaro Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Snow Hill, NC
    I have'nt even finished with my own 79 Camaro rebuild, and I've already started another with my oldest son. He is estatic about helping to restore this 1979 Camaro Z28. As long as it gives us something to do together as father and son mine can wait.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. fsubulldogs

fsubulldogs Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Owosso, MI
    thats awesome, thats how i got into cars was helping my dad work on the family cars and his race car. cant wait to see how it goes and pics lots of pics

3. fsubulldogs

fsubulldogs Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Owosso, MI
    looks like you have nice base, what are the plans for it? any major rust?

4. leemaro

Aug 14, 2011
    Snow Hill, NC
  5. leemaro

Aug 14, 2011
    Snow Hill, NC
    Car set outside for 18 years. Trunk lid/ package-hinge panel were totally rusted out. I've replaced them with parts from a parts car I originally had for my camaro resto. Both doors have rusted out but only in a small area (see pic). The lower trunk panel also has some damage, but I have a good one from a parts car. As for the powertrain the man I aquired it from bought it for his daughter twenty years ago, he bought the car with no engine or tranny. He bought both brand new from GM and put in the car. He said she put 3000 miles on the car and then parked it ,because she almost lost it one night on a slick wet road. It hasn't been driven since. I approached this gentleman apprx. 8 yrs. ago about buying, but he wouldn't sell. He wanted to restore it himself. Recently, knowing the car was still there, me and my son stopped in to try once more. He was still reluctant at first about selling but I think the excitement and ferver in my sons eyes softened his stance.
    I would have a lot more to work with if he had only kept it covered, but it is what it is. Just more work, but also, more time to spend with Brock, my son.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. duaneorr333

duaneorr333 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Yreka CA
    I love father/son projects. I am hoping that when my twin boys get older (they're 3 now), they'll want to work on a car with their dad. I dont care what kind of car it is, but a Camaro is the ultimate project :)

7. leemaro

Aug 14, 2011
    Snow Hill, NC
    Well, this day in time when the world is as corrupt as it is, a kid needs an activity to occupy their time and challenge their desire to learn. Whether it's sports, working on cars or whatever, as long as there is something that we can support them in. I think as dads we want that activity to be something masculine and macho. But it's like I told my wife, even if my boys took up ballet or needle point I'd stand beside them, if it was an activity to keep them away from the bad things going on all around us. That being said, I'm so glad my first decided on baseball and working on Camaros.

8. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    Nice project. Good to see younger guys steering clear of rice and building real cars.

My dad and I built a 70 nova starting when I was 12. Finished it when I was 19. Some of the best memories I have.

Good luck with her,

Jamie

9. zachs74Z

zachs74Z New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Prince George, Va.
    I'm getting ready to get started on a '74 Z28 with my 16 year old son also. Your son is very fortunate to have a dad that already knows how this stuff works, ( My son - not quite as lucky ) but like you said earlier, its something to do together. I'm new to this site but already have learned lots from all the nice folks here.
    Best of luck with your project - keep us posted.
    Atwell