z28 center caps

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 66trakpak, Apr 23, 2014.

1. 66trakpak

66trakpak Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Long Island NY
    Hi, A buddy of mine has early style center caps gm 3989479 in the boxes.The bow tie is not raised.I thought the GM originals are raised.The ones on my car have the raised bow ties. Can someone please shed some light on this for me.Thanks.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The original GM caps installed on the assembly line had the raised bowtie. During that time, the ones sold over the parts counter were the same with the raised bowtie. But, sometime along the way, GM switched to the flat decal on their caps that they sold at the parts counter.

3. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I'd have to research where I got mine because it's been a few years... but I found a set of replacements that are black instead of blue and the bow-tie is actually raised. I really like them over the flat blue ones. A lot of people have had problems with the tabs (that snap the caps into the wheel) on the flat blue ones breaking off. I think the blue ones are re-popped in Indonesia or China or somewhere foreign. The originals like Gary mentioned are blue with a raised bow-tie.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I believe that the repops are the ones that have the weak tabs that break. The GM ones seldom break unless handled wrong. Both the raised bowtie GM and the non-raised GM caps have very strong tabs that last for decades.

Once GM ran out of NOS ones, somebody started making the imported reproductions that have the problems.

5. 66trakpak

66trakpak Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Long Island NY
    Ok, Thanks for the info guys.It was very helpful I will pass it along.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Buddy (Budz) from here sells the raised that they had a Co make, they are exact.