Z28 air cleaners

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by dadgonebroke, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok- I recently picked up a 72 Z and at some point the carb was changed to a Holley 600 and the car now has a cheapo repro chrome open element air cleaner without the pipe on the bottom that goes to the valve cover.
    I'd considered buying a correct air cleaner for the '72 (dual snorkel), but I'm wondering if there might be a fitment issue with the 600 Holley- which might be why it now has the repro open element air cleaner.
    Now I'm thinking I should just find a correct open element air cleaner BASE only. But will that one fit?
    I ordered some parts from Classic Industries and they would allow me to return a wrong air cleaner if I paid return shipping- which seems fair. Can you guys give me a bit of direction?:screwup:

2. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The stock air cleaner (or aftermarket clone) should fit on any Holley 4bbl. They are all the same size. Depending on your distributor and intake you might have issue. I have a MSD distributor and the stock air cleaner would need to be cut out or banged in to sit flat. I used to have a little too high of an intake manifold and I have to have a low profile open element air cleaner set-up.
    The stock dual snorkels look great if you have a GM distributor and stock (height) intake.
    You really don't need the hose from the valve cover to the base of the cleaner unless you are a greenpeace sort of guy. You do need your crankcase to breath but an aftermarket breather that plugs in the valve cover hole will be fine.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. dadgonebroke

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    The intake appears to be a Winters and the distributor looks stock too. The open element air cleaner makes the engine compartment look cleaner but I just like a stock look.

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

do you have an HEI or a Points distributor?

If you have an HEI then the stock air cleaner will not fit with out mods.

5. dadgonebroke

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    72 Z28

Yes it has a points distributor.

6. Skullskidr

Skullskidr New Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Watkinsville, GA
    At first glance, It will fit with no problems as long as you don't have some tall intake that pushes the air cleaner into the hood. I can check for sure when I get in the shop in the morning.

7. Skullskidr

Skullskidr New Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Watkinsville, GA
    Ok...the Holley 600 will need a banjo fitting for the fuel line & it can't have a retrofitted big electric choke. Sorry it took so long...been a long day!:confused: