Z-Life's 79 Z28 Project Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Z-Life, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Z-Life

Z-Life New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Florida
    GM Tilt Column repair:

There are lots of pages out there on disassembly and tightening the loose screws, this guy has a good page with pictures and info
    http://nastyz28.com/forum/members/spoonlt1355.8128/

This one was also helpful:
    http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12525.0

It is a pretty easy repair for skilled guys, I would say if you can rebuild a carb then this is easy, it you cant even change brake pads dont attempt it.

When I took my tilt/switch housing out a bunch of little metal silver balls came falling out, I thought crap now what. The upper bearing retainer is damaged and will no longer hold the bearings in. Here is a picture of how it looked when it came off, it has been apart before.
    [​IMG]

This 30$ bearing kit from summit was the right one for this column.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...vdwTi0PukiaP3SV0p2-Tx5jAL9-3WcmQgExoCsFXw_wcB

[​IMG]

I tapped the old bearings out with a hammer and screwdriver, then pressed new ones in with a vise and 1 1/8 inch socket.

All four of the inverted torx bolts were very loose, I think these bolts with this 12 point head suck so I replaced the factory bolts with stainless allen head screws, They are 1/4 by 28 - 2.5 inches long I think, the round head allen driver on a 3/8 drive socket works well for this, pretty handy little allen wrenches.

[​IMG]

Slathered them in loctite and torqued them down with cordless impact driver. They could even be tightened without taking the tilt housing off now because you can reach them with the allen wrench.

[​IMG]

Column back together and nice and snug but looks like sh*t with all the runs in the crappy red paint, then tehre ios overspray everywhere inside this car on the guages seats windows, etc.... I also took the dash out to dye it and remove the heater assy. what a mess....

[​IMG]

Painting the column and front package tray while its all apart.

[​IMG]

its really tough to get it painted all the way down in there, Im going to replace the windshield some day so I will touch that up, it looks waaaay better though, I used black zero rust over black primer.

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Looks great so far. Doing a good job using your talents to your advantage like you are. Nice thread to watch.

3. Z-Life

Z-Life New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you coadster32 Im having a blast out there working on it....

4. HotAugustNights

HotAugustNights Member

May 3, 2016
    tucson arizona
    I'm in the same boat as you, my interior is almost none existent:)

5. Z-Life

Z-Life New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Florida
    I hear ya man, and its so hard to save money for these projects.... mine has god awful red seats and carpet. I used some of the dye I bought for the dash on one of the back seats and it looks great. it was duplicolor vinyl and fabric in a spray can, alot cheaper than the 150 for rear seat covers. I dont know how it will wear but the back seat is gonna go someday, I hope to back half the car... and I need rain gutters WTF Ive seen them as high as 350... ouch...will have to get repops for 180... they are on the list...

6. Z-Life

Z-Life New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Florida
    Heater Delete:

Getting the heater assy out is not big deal when you have the entire dash out, Im leaving the defroster vents, will hook them up to the new air system when I get it. I did take them out and paint flat black.

Here is what your car looks like with all that sh*t out.... enough room to store a baby elephant

[​IMG]

Im always saving junk and had some sheet metal from a 50 year old solid panel garage door, its got grooves in it for strength so I cut a couple of pieces to cover the openings in the firewall. Also used some hi density weather strip between the firewall and new panel. The previous guy even got over spray all over the insulation back there.

Here is the view from inside, I forgot to take picture after I covered over the heater hose holes.

[​IMG]

The view from engine compartment, will have to cut all those screws off, and weld another plate on the outside, I also notice there is no heat sheild on the lower part of the firewall there, my second car had piece that was spaced away but attached Im pretty sure it was a heat deflector.

[​IMG]

Will eventually weld up another panel on the outside and create a heat shield on the upper part of floor pan.

Im in to recycling stuff as you see by using the garage door sheet metal, I also saved a compressor blanket off a residential AC unit, its really heavy rubber with a foam rubber backing, Im thinking its perfect stuff to cover this all up on the indside.

[​IMG]

Got it hanging in there I only had 2 small fender washers when I started. Since the photo below I bought some and finished it off.

[​IMG]

Thats it for this mess for now, it needs a revisit and will get it when the AC unit goes in.