Z/28 rim date code

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by stafs05, May 3, 2015.

1. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    Hello once again, I bought a Z/28 rim and was looking at the date code. I referenced past threads and need a little clarification. Rim that I bought has 13/16 oval stem hole, codes as follows K 1 0 11 then stem hole 20 AU. Rim was made in Nov 11 70, with a 13/ 16 stem hole. I know I must be interpreting wrong. Once again thank you for your knowledge. Shawn

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree it is a 1970 wheel. The "0" in K 1 0 indicates that. Beyond that, the other numbers are difficult to interpret.
    Look inside the rim where the tire mounts and see if there is another code stamped there. Look for something like F GM A5.
    I believe that number would indicate F=6th letter of the alphabet, so 6th month, June.
    GM=just that it is a wheel made for GM.
    A=possibly first week of month
    5=possibly 5th day of week

I'm not sure of these codes, but check to see how they line up with the other codes you have, but remember that the codes on the inside of the wheel would be for the individual parts of the wheel as they were stamped, and before the wheel was assembled, so they won't be exactly the same as the final stampings by the valve stem hole which are for the completed wheel.

A Nov 1970 wheel would be from a 1971 Camaro or Chevelle SS as 1971 production was already in full force by that time.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    Thank you for the break down on the codes Gary, for the additional codes there is an original tire on it.