Your Camaro Project, how long has it been sitting??

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Z-28COVERCAR, Aug 10, 2009.

1. TreySmith

TreySmith Veteran Member

May 12, 2009
    Pearland, Texas
    I bought mine 4 months ago or so. Got it running a week or two later and have been driving it once a week to keep everything working. Mainly to the inspection shop lol. Finally passed last Friday. Probably put 40 miles on it, once it's painted it will be my daily driver to school :)

[​IMG]

2. secondgencamaro

secondgencamaro Veteran Member

Mine has been sitting for a little over a year now.

3. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I actually moved out 79 Camaro Berlinetta out of the lean too and into the side driveway so I can clean the main garage out (move junk from one location to another! LOL!). It fired right up and only had one tire that was a little low on air.

4. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Im still driving my donor car. The more I drive it, the harder it gets to tear it down and put engine, tranny, and rear end in my builder car. Im not doing anything untill it cools off this fall though.

5. unrestored72Z

unrestored72Z Veteran Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    i'm right there with ya...mine hasn't been started since 1983....

6. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Bought the '71 in '91 with all the original parts except a tranny and driveshaft. Near as I can tell it was last on the road in '79 when the previous owner took it apart. That puts me in the middle at 18 years, but the car has been apart for about 30...

P/O said it ran when he took it apart with just under 80k original miles, but it was a New England car so 8-9 years of road salt was enough that it needed body work.
    We're going on ~2 years of trying to decide whether to move or build a big enough garage to fit everything (~4 car). The biggest problems (besides cash) is that city ordinances would not allow the square footage or height I want (must be same/smaller than house and can't be over 15' high at the peak) so we would have to get variances AND it would be a white elephant if we did sell--we'd never get the money back. :whine:

7. camaro383

camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    welllllllllllll, I havn't drivin my 81 sense 2004. I moved from Buffalo NY to Charleston SC in 05 and just started working on it again in the last 6 months. I just pulled the motor and tranny out to start cleaning up the engine compartment and finish the painless wiring chasis kit that I started 4 years ago. Heres a piece of advice for everyone...don't start a harness job that includes tieing in a switch panel, guages, linelock, transbreak, ect, and stop for 3 years and try to figure out where you left off. To put it blunt....IT SUCKS. lol
    But, sense I have been working on it, I'm hoping to get the new motor and tranny dropped into it in the next couple weeks with the wiring done by then...that might be start up day...a day worth A LOT OF BEER!

8. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Everett, WA
    Three years, but I'm working on it again finally.

9. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

Feb 11, 2000
    Alton, IL, U.S.
    i bought my car (non running) in 1999 I pulled the blown up motor & started gutting it a lil bit back then,then i got into the whole mini truck scene so the camaro sat (outside) untill march of last year, When I sold my other project vehicle that was runnig.

since last march i've completely striped everything out of th car sandblasted & painted the front subframe, patched all the wholes in the floor. Then I got a visit to my chassis guy for a roll cage & all that good stuff, currently its at a friends house getting the body work & paint done.... soon it will be home & i can start putting it back together after over 10 years

10. steveo_80z28_nj

steveo_80z28_nj Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2008
    nj

A little over a year and a half.

Interior is gutted. I will start welding the front quarters and patching the floors once I find a decent welder. Then I'll POR 15 the floor and then get the body to bare metal....then prime her.

The interior parts are almost gathered...just need to buy new door panels and the carpet.

Still thinking of either skinning a door or buying another. Not sure yet.

Once the welder is purchased I'll start moving on her.

I hope...

SteveO