Your Camaro Project, how long has it been sitting??

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Z-28COVERCAR, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Z-28COVERCAR

Z-28COVERCAR Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2003
    CORONA,CA, USA
    Am I the only one that feels GUILTY for letting my 71 RS Z sit for MANY years?? I haven't driven my car since 1980 and it's killing me. Other projects (cars) and I have approximately 50% of the Camaro restored and in plastic bags ready for assembly after the car gets a new color scheme (paint job).
    I found myself sitting in it last week and my wife to a pic of me with a BIG smile on my face.

So, the bonehead I am, it's been my backburner project now for = 29 years

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Im going on three.I hope to be done sooner than 29 years,lol.But then again..................

3. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Dang...I thought my build took a while!! I drove mine into my garage in February 1984...didn't see the light of day for 15 years.
    Like yours it sat for a lot of those years while life was going on. I'm just glad I kept it.

4. Kjdavis93

Kjdavis93 Veteran Member

I bought my 71 Camaro in 2004 and its just now finally drivable, I think it came out OK, I would like to have a fancier paint job. I used the hot rod black from Eastwood. I wish I could post pics but this about the extent of my PC knowledge.

5. billscamaros

billscamaros Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    well, mine is a '69 and it's driveable, but it's been pretty much stagnant for 18 years. lots of ideas, little time or money. i'll hang onto it forever. who knows ....

6. i bought mine almost 5 years ago. I searched high and low for a 70 z28, orange with white stripes.

It sat for a year and then i decided i was ready, so I then had to build the garage to build the car in. that took another year.

then a year trying to find all the dated parts. We finished the paint last October, and it finally looks like I have about another 3 weeks before I fire it for the first time..

Its five years on halloween.

Every nut and bolt has been removed, cleaned - powdercoated or rebuilt to some extent.

I think the biggest obstacle is getting frustrated when the parts done fit.

7. amargari

amargari Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Morristown, NJ, USA
    My car sat from 1989 until 2003 when I started working on it. It is still not drivable. It should be on the road within the year.

8. Blue78

Blue78 New Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It will be three years in November. I just need to finish up the interior on my wife's TR6, and then I'll start in on the suspension and brakes on my '78 Firebird.

9. WMCC Doug

WMCC Doug Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    Mine sat in the garage, all apart, and the body with the body on a rotisserie for 22 years. Took three years to get her back on the road once we got started. Still have a few unfinished details to address yet, plus install an A/C kit.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The 67 has been sitting too long...um, maybe since 95 or 96.