young kid, old 'maro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by derecho, May 12, 2009.

1. derecho

derecho New Member

May 12, 2009
    Central Valley, Ca
    Hey, My name is Nigel, this would be my first camaro project and i am really exited. I just picked a 72' thats all in pieces but for the most part is all there. straight body with no cancer (some surface rust inside). my plans are to make it a drag/cruiser. most likely (working out the deails next week) its going to have a ls 5.3 that i would love to turbo, or maybe just spray it. i just want it realiable enough that i can make the couple hour drive to the track, make a couple passes, then make the drive home. I'm welcome all opinions as long as they are said nicely lol. still not sure what tranny i want to run????? hope to meet some of you guys one day and see how your projects are going.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi Nigel!

Welcome to Nasty Z!

What part of the central valley are you at?
    We have a lot of members throughout and hopefully, we can help you out!

Keep us posted on your progress!

3. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Welcome to NastyZ28 Nigel...

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  4. derecho

derecho New Member

May 12, 2009
    Central Valley, Ca
    I'm in Los Banos. and now that i think bout it, i should have said somethin like younger kid in the post I'm 21 so thats still youngish lol.

5. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
  6. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome Nigel, and good luck with your car. A turbocharged 5.3 sounds like a great plan!

7. derecho

derecho New Member

May 12, 2009
    Central Valley, Ca
    any opinions yet bout if i should run an auto or stick? my friend said a 4 speed would be fun on the street and that they make an adapter for the 4 speed to the 5.3, but i thought with a turbo engine, it would be best to have an auto. when i still had my turbo diesel, i loved having an auto cuz i could do boosted launches. thats another reason i thought bout an auto but my bud said i'd burn up my auto and that the four speed would be less maint..

8. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    Auto's are always a week point in a performance car. IMO. Why 4spd? Why not 5 or 6spd manual? The only reason Im sticking with the old Muncies with my cars is because Im going the nostalgic route. But if you're already going LS motor and turbocharged you might as well go all out, right?

On a side note, please don't drive a diesel the way you have described you did. That's very hard on them, they are not performance vehicles, they are work vehicles. Just because it has some power doesnt mean it's mandatory that the snot gets beat out of it. I see more and more people driving diesel's that have absolutely no business doing so. Its frustrating to see people to silly stupid stuff to their trucks that I know is killing them.

Looks like a nice project though! You even got a rust free one to go on. I hate you... lol

9. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    Hey I am doing the same engine with my car except mine will be built for the twisties.

10. derecho

derecho New Member

May 12, 2009
    Central Valley, Ca
    yea i may go that route (5 or 6 speed) but as for the diesel part, i respectfully disagree. i was really into diesel and they are not what they used to be, yet they were made to work and all my friends still use thiers for work, but i have personally riden in a 01 cummins that makes over a 1000 horse at the wheels. the top end charge of a diesel is unreal!!! my best friends is a 02 on 35s and putt 433hp and in the 9s for torque to the wheels the other day and thats how my car got home but he still will race it too. only reason i even have this car now is because i got laid off awhile back (and recent too) and my truck got repoed. or i would still be in the diesel industry.

and kj, i almost was going to build it for the twisties too, i even have an all alum vette rear end for it now but i know how i drive in the twisties (i lived on them almost my whole life) but i knew if i lost it and totalled the car, i would never forgive myself. but its still tempting