Yet another Trouble Starting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by BigAls87Z28, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Boyd

Boyd Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Thornton, CO
    BigAl, (or anyone else) exactly how do you "flip it 180*"? Mine is doing exactly this:

"just sound of the engine trying to start, and a burst of fuel blowing up through the carb..."

so I too, thought I installed the dist. 180* off even though I marked the cap, rotor and distributor body very carefully to make sure I put it back the same way I took it out. But how do I flip it 180*?

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Its all a silly little game of lining up the oil pump shaft with the bottom of the distributor, and making sure its spot on.....

Method outlined by BAAVY05 is on. If you can't 'feel' the compression, just stick a small piece of somewhat stiff wire in the plug hole til you feel the top of the piston. BUT....with that you gotta make sure you're on the compression stroke, and not the exhaust stroke.

I don't know if its still on here...but Marv had posted up a long and drawn out method of installing a dist. and you just COULD NOT get it wrong if you did it that way....