Yet another Trouble Starting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by BigAls87Z28, Mar 11, 2007.

1. BigAls87Z28

BigAls87Z28 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    Ok, took off the intake to put on a new set of gaskets, but when I put it all back together, didnt start. Flipped the dizzy 180*, still no start. So I started from scratch, take it to TDC, point the rotor at #1, and fire her up. Well, I do it, and it stumbles...doesnt start, just stumbles and struggles to start.
    Im thinking maybe is 180 off..so I flip it, nothing now, just sound of the engine trying to start, and a burst of fuel blowing up through the carb made me think that I had it right he first time, just maybe have the spark plug wires are one off? When it was struggling, we had it alllll the way advanced, and....if this makes any sense....sounded like it was going ot start better then if I retarded it. So im thinking that the plug wires are off one on top. Thoughs? Possibilites?

2. whitelight1

whitelight1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Hebron In.
    Is it a 350? If so, remember 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. It does sound like you are a plug off on rotation or have a major vacuum leak at the intake. hope it helps.:bowtie:

3. BigAls87Z28

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    I have the plug mounted on right, but I think they are all off one...so where the 2 is, thats where 1 should be, so forth and so on.

4. whitelight1

Dec 10, 2006
    Hebron In.
    That's what it sounds like.

5. whitelight1

Dec 10, 2006
    Hebron In.
    if that doesn't work have someone spray wd-40 around the intake while you are cranking if it suddenly starts you have a vaccuum leak. hope this helps gotta go to bed.
    running on three hours of sleep..

6. BigAls87Z28

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    Thanks man. I just redid the intake gaskets, so everything should be ok...I hope...
    Anyway, gunna try it in a few. I always find it better to work on cars at 2am. Really improves relations with teh neighbors.

7. BigAls87Z28

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    Ok, flipped it back 180, and rotated the wires over one. It runs, but...when I go to check the timing, the mark is waaaaaaaay advanced...way way way advanced. If I try to pull it twards the markers, the car starts to stumble...which leads me to belive that the wires werent one off? I dunno, its 5am, Im not sure of much, but I took her for a ride and she seem to ride good, if not better then before?

8. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    Did you disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug it before you checked the timing? That may be why it is so far advanced. ZF.

9. BigAls87Z28

Jul 8, 2003
    Ocean Twp. NJ, USA
    Yeah, sure did, still far off. I originaly thought thats what it was, so I had checked it...nope, disconnected.
    Runs like a champ. Picked up a new cap and rotor with a new MSD coil. SOTP dyno went up a bit, car pulls a little harder, but maybe thats just the voices in my head telling me that.

10. BAAVY05

BAAVY05 Veteran Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Richlands,N.C.
    Pull number one plug.. Have someone turn car over.. make sure you pull distrib wire.. Bring up on compression.. When face car number one plug should be at 5 oclock.. take cap off and see where it is pionting.. If not pionting at about 5oclock reset.. then place cap back on and check and make sure wires are correct.....