yet another 1979 Z-28 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by nagrom28, Nov 15, 2013.

1. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    here are some pics of the car when I brought it home in 2008. I stored it for 3 years as I remodeled my house, then started restoring it in 2011. I originally bought this car in 1990. I stripped it to bare metal, did some filler work, and painted it. I also installed a 427, Muncie 4 speed, and 9" rear with 4.33 gears. I ended up selling it in 1996 because i had lost interest and now I realize I was in over my head. the guy let it sit outside next to a corn field for 12 years where it was neglected. the paint went to hell, someone tried breaking into it, and it rusted...I bought it back in 2008 knowing I didn't have time for it, but always hoped some day I would. this car is rare. as far as I can tell, it has no options on it. no a/c, no power windows, no rear window defrost, no automatic transmission, no cruise, and didn't even have a center console. it's the only Z-28 I've ever seen without a/c, with a 4 speed, and without a center console.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    the rear of the car was rusted, so I removed the bad area before taking it to have it media blasted. they used ultra fine coal, as it removes paint, rust, and plastic filler without damaging the metal if it's done correctly. I ended up building a wooden "rotisserie" because it was much cheaper, easier, and faster then building another metal one, as I've done in the past, and sold. this pic shows the bottom pretty much stripped.

[​IMG]

3. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    i then made some attachments that I bolted to my car dollies to transport it to the media blaster. they left them on the car so they could get to the bottom easier.

[​IMG]

4. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    I dropped the car off at 8am, and it was ready to pick up at 1pm. there was quite a bit more rust damage than I anticipated. the passenger floor was gone, the driver's floor had a lot of small holes, and both sides under the seats where the inner 1/4 meets the floor was shot.

[​IMG]

5. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    I forgot to mention I found mouse nests in the front sub frame, in the heater box, under the headliner, under the back seat, in the air vents, and in the rear frame rails.....totally gross!

6. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Cool! Love the 79's!

p.s. - what is that perfectly round hole in the driver's door?

7. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    here are some pictures of the rust damage....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    here it is back at home getting body work....the driver's lower quarter between the door and tire was replaced from a donor car right below the body line...the rear quarter had a couple small patches for rust holes and the whole quarter was metal worked and skimmed with filler because it looks like sometime in life it had been hit.....

[​IMG]

the dash was rusted at the bottom of the windshield. I cut out the damaged area and used POR-15 on the metal beneath it before fabricating and installing the patch

[​IMG]

this is the rear body panel. I decided to section it in instead of removing the panel all the way to the trunk. the rear cross rail, which this piece is attached to at the bottom, was also completely rotten. I bought an NOS one from a member of this site

[​IMG]

this is the piece fitted before welding...

[​IMG]

9. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    I had the door shells media blasted by the same place that did my shell. however, they must have gotten too close or spent too long blasting, as they destroyed my skins....I guess in the long run it was better, because this is what I found when I removed my skins....RUST around the outer shell where the skins fold over. I made the appropriate patches and blasted the rust and repaired areas with my pressure pot blaster before priming them with epoxy primer. I then ground the paint off the edges and prepped the new skins and glued new skins on. I also used foam between the metal bracing and the door skin to try to eliminate any rattles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nagrom28

nagrom28 Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    back on it's suspension and the doors fitted. I wasn't happy with the way the doors fit with the aftermarket skins. I ended up using 1/8" round rod to close up the gaps. the top of the driver's door actually has 2 pieces of rod tapered toward the body line. from the body line down to the rocker was very good.

[​IMG]

both doors needed metal added to the fronts to get the gaps closed up to the fenders. oh, the joy of aftermarket sheet metal!

[​IMG]