Yes Im still not done, HELP with distributor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by CHEVY350SS, Nov 12, 2011.

1. CHEVY350SS

CHEVY350SS Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Avondale, Arizona
    Hey all I know I havent posted in a while, Im still working on my car and have a new problem I need help with ok, I recently had my smallblock chevy rebuilt by a master mechanic and decided to go back to a regular MSD hei coil on top distrib utor. I bought a Streetfire distributor and when the builder was done with my engine he ran it on a engine stand for a few minutes with no problems. I get it installed in my Camaro and now it starts up fine initially but after taking it for a test drive after about 10 minutes it started to cut out at 3000 rpm and gradually got worse where it just died. It wouldnt start but did crank, I checked fuel, it was half tank and the carb is getting fuel too. So i towedit back to my shop and started checking wires. There is 12 volts coming from the ignition wire but i decided to run a jumper straight to the battery just in case there was a fluctuation in volts. Still no spark. I checked for spark from the distributor cap and nothing but 12 volts from the coil wire still. So i let it sit for about an hour and it started right up. I let it run in idle to see if it would die again and about 10 minutes later it died again and wouldnt start. Im not sure if I just got a bad distributor. Im running out of tests....I even bought another msd coil to see if it worked but no go....PLEASE HELP

2. heat problem. Either in the coil in the module.

If possible try anouther coil. if it still happens, look how much dielectric grease is under the module.

so far my .02 cents

3. CHEVY350SS

Mar 26, 2010
    Avondale, Arizona
    So today i put another module in an loaded the grease, ill test it tomorrow and see if it works, thanks for the input

4. CHEVY350SS

Mar 26, 2010
    Avondale, Arizona
    So i changed the module and loaded the white grease and once again ran it for approx. 10 minutes and shut off. So still asking for HELP?

5. white grease??? I hope you mean dielectric grease, otherwise you probably just fried a module.

Changend the coil, yet?

Did you drive it for 10 minutes or let it just sit there and idle for 10 minutes?

6. fueler

fueler Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Canada
    Since you changed the coil and module it has to be the inductive pick up in your distributor. Pretty rare, usually it is the module. Find out what it looks like under google images searching for " hei pickup coil"

Go here to test it and I think there is instructions how to change it...
    http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/pkupcoil.htm

7. CHEVY350SS

Mar 26, 2010
    Avondale, Arizona
    I did mean dielectric grease, yes i changed the coil, the rotor, the module and now going to search for the inductive pickup. For now I put back in my other billet distributor with my 6al box and coil, but it got too late to test it. It doesnt matter if i drive it or let it sit...its approx 10 minutes and it shuts off. Ill let you guys know tomorrow if the other disributor works since i know it worked prior in my old engine.

8. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    fwiw, intermittent problems are not usually ignition related. I've always found that when a module dies you get NO spark.

A failed inductor would produce such an erratic spark firing I do not believe your car would ever start.

Personally I'd be more suspicious of your fuel supply, which is a variable between the test stand and your car.

Maybe a fuel filter is full of tank-gunk and is cutting off the engine. You'll only notice something like that after running it a short while.

Good luck troubleshooting.

9. thats right. I first thought of coil / module cause these get a lot of heat and 10 min of to much heat will fry em.
    But a clogging filter is also possible.

10. CHEVY350SS

Mar 26, 2010
    Avondale, Arizona
    Well I ended swappimg my piece of crap Msd Streetfire distributor for my last Msd Pro billet "real" distributor and 6al box and it starts and runs perfectly. I contacted Msd to see if I can get a refund or something. I guess trying to go with simplicity didnt work out this time. The only reason I didnt want to use the pro billet is there isnt a vacuum advance and its locked out. But I do have a 6al 2 programmable, I just wanted to keep it simple this time.:screwup: