Yeah, I scewed up the timing.. again :(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by SpeedAddict02, Jun 1, 2004.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    I picked up an adjustable vacuum can by Moroso & a curve kit w/ new weights,springs & bushings..

I made note of the cap position, wrote down order of plugs, then removed cap.. Noted rotor was facing firewall...

Removed rotor, then springs.. The bushings on the weights were non existent.. So I figured, cool.. That's probably my idling,timing fluctuation problem.. So I remove the weights, install new bushings, weights, 2 new medium springs, reinstall rotor, then cap & wires..

But, when I went to put on the rotor, I noticied it had moved a little..B4 it was directly facing firewall, (12 o'clock), when i reinstalled it, it was at approx. 11 O'clock.

Tried moving it, but couldnt.. So i just put the cap back on & figured it would be ok b/c it didnt move that much..

Go to start car, wont start, getting popping from exhaust.. Great.. So I figured it was off now.. Removed cap, removed #1 spark plug, had wife bump it over till I felt the compression push my finger, put back plug, tried rotating distributor to make rotor point to #1 plug, and I cant.. First, the rotor at that point was facing the front of the car, when I turned distributor, vac. can hits intake & prevents me from turning anymore.. Second, when I turn the distributor either way, the rotor really doesnt move with the distributor..

Is that the way it is suppose to be? I though they would turn together?? And that's how you "dead" time it..

Someone, please help.. How do I find timing from scratch.. B4 I put a match to my car..

Like I said, I double checked order of wires, and they were the same as I took them off..

TIA
    Joe

[​IMG]

------------------
    1981 Z28
    400c.i.SBC/Edelbrock 750/Performer Intake/1-5/8" headers/MSD 6A w/HEI/700R-4/3.42posi-trac/B&M QuickSilver/3rd Gen Steering Box/KYB's /28"rear tires & a real heavy foot!!

2. SpeedAddict02

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    Forgot to mention that I had my wife turning the key while I was turning the distributor, but that wasnt working either.. I got it close enough to where the popping stopped.. Which is the point that the vacuum can hits the intake.. ( this is where my distributor was b4 I did anything )

If I tried removing the can, then rotating distributor, would the car start without vacuum advance?? That is only operable during part-throttle driving, right>?

If not, do I need to pull distributor to get the rotor to line up with the #1 cylinder?

Also, the fact that a couple of my wires are a tad on the tight side, as far as length goes, doesnt help when trying to rotate the dizzy..

Any way, if anyone can tell me the proper steps to get this Biatch running again, I would appreciate it. But looks like I gotta get a ride to work tomorrow b/c it started to pour so I aint going back out there..

One more thing, on the new vac can, the #20 is stamped on it.. Is that the amount of advance the can provides??

thanks again
    Joe

[This message has been edited by SpeedAddict02 (edited June 01, 2004).]

3. larry spillman

larry spillman Veteran Member

if your out of adjustment you can move all spark plug wires 1 hole over in distributer this is the same as turning dist. as for vacuum and weights they dont even begain to work until motor is running . also you can remove dist get motor to tdc with valves closed on compression stroke take a long screwdriver and turn oil pump rod so rotor will be in correct position #1 as it was set at factory. all you really have done here is lose tdc on #1 cyl when you get that everything else will fall in place unless your dist drive gear is messed up and then timing would be all over the place no matter what.make sure the roll pin that holds dist gear is still in gear and shaft also dont over look a possible grounded out electrical connection to or in dist. good luck

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
  5. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

yes, remove the dist, find tdc, turn the oil pump rod to point towards #5 intake valve, then drop the dist in with rotor pointing halfway between #5 and #1 cylinder... by the time it is fully engaged, the rotor will be pointing at cylinder one (as it engages the cam gear it will turn clockwise)

good luck

6. SpeedAddict02

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    Hey guys, I also posted this topic in the Engine section.. Have RickWI helping me out..

But COPO & RS are correct, I was doing this without removing the dizzy.. So I did what Rick told me, which is what RS stated, but I am still off a gear on the cam b/c when I installed the dizzy, I had the rotor pointing to #1, then once it was fully seated, it was facing the front of the car.. (6 O'clock).. I didnt know I was suppose to turn the rotor back, between #1 & #5, in order for it to fully seat pointing at #1.. So as it is now, I drove it to work today, and I'm having problems.. Getting pinging @ 2,000 rpms.. When I flash the timing gun at the pointer, the notch on the balancer doesnt stay steady.. It bounces 2* or so in both directions intermittently..

So, I gotta start over, reset the dizzy so it fully seats pointing to #1 @ TDC.. then hopefully all will be well.. IF not, time for a new MSD dizzy..

[​IMG]

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Get TDC again and remove the dist. After it clicks fully down and the rotor isn't pointing to #1 wire, then remove the dist and get a hack saw blade and turn the slot abit where the bottom of the dist engages and drop it in.

------------------
    Mark
    1970 Z28
    Home Page on 1970 Z28
    http://members.rogers.com/mlvd/

8. SpeedAddict02

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    Thanks COPO, gonna give it all another shot tomorrow As well as install new plugs, wires & dizzy cap & rotor, and maybe even pickup a new coil...