yaOZa, the ignition key comes out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by dakdawn, Nov 3, 2003.

1. dakdawn

dakdawn Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Gilbert AZ USA
    I *just* happened to find this out today with my 70 SS. I forgot take the steering wheel lock off (ya know, da' club) before starting the Camaro, then I said to myself, "Well, I'll just take the key off the ring, instead of turning the car off." While fumbl'n around with the key ring that I needed, the ignition key came OUT of the ignition!!!! What's up with THAT?

------------------
    Pic's to my 1970 Camaro SS!
    My Mechanic
    in Mesa AZ -- Great Auto Shop!

2. I've had cars like that, as a matter of a fact my 91 Buick Century does it, sometimes I don't even need a key to start it. Your lock cylinder is worn inside to the point that the key can slide out even when its not supposed to. Personally, this is the way I like it, so I can leave the car running without the keys in it, or so I can get into the trunk without shuttting the car off. I wish GM would just make them this way on purpose.

3. 1981coupe400ci

1981coupe400ci Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Oregon,IL
    my dads work van is like that... comes in handy though cause he can keep the van running while he gets somethign from the shop

4. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    lot's of early '70's cars fail that way.

No Biggie!

You can pull the lock Cyl and all that, but I would just live with it.

5. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    My dad had a car like that once, he went around a sharp corner one day and his keys flew out the window. Never did find the keys and he was really pissed.

6. 79linetta

79linetta Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2003
    leeds,al,usa
    you could always get a car full of people and while going down the road pull the keys out and throw them in the backseat.the look on their faces is pricless. [​IMG]

7. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

same thing on my 71 SS

8. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Hell, I thought it was an OPTION on older Chevy's [​IMG]

9. Petes 81Z

Petes 81Z Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Mechanicsvile VA USA
    RS, I thought it was standard! I like it too, and if you turn it all the way back to lock then you need the key to start it. It is great when you need to get in the trunk with the car running. I've also started a car, took the key out and locked it on a cold day to let it warm up.

10. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Had a friend who owned a '64 Chevy II that did that. Think most cars from the '60's will run with the keys removed from the ignition. I remember my brother's '67 Mustang fastback could do it too. Actually its really handy so you can unlock the trunk or go lock up the house, etc with the car still running. I too wish GM made cars today with this feature.

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta