Would you buy car parts from amazon.com???

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    Here's the scoop,My wifes moneypit dd [1999 zr-2blazer] needs a fuel pump /module soon.I only want a a/c delco as I've had nothing but problems with airtex,delphi and cheap internet crap over the years,I can get the correct module [mu1755] on amazon for $180 and change.My friend who works at a delco distributor says their'emplyee' price is like $260 so I'm cynical is the amazon a "delco" box who knows what inside if you know what I mean.I'm cheap like everyone else but am too smart to buy some $100 e-bay special that will fail when its 20 below and full tank of gas[ask me how I know that!!] the pics show the new harness,gasket and strainer so it looks like a complete kit.Has anyone replaced just the pump on a module like we used to do in the old days when the hanger assly was steel???Got more time than money right now but I feel I'll be grabbing my ankles either now or later-all comments and advice welcome!!!Later Steve!!!

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I've bought some car stuff from Amazon before, no issues.

3. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    Same here, parts and tools.

4. 72'z'steve

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    Hey Knuckle Have you ever replaced just the pump in the module assy? I see delco sells a kit for that purpose with the goofy pinch clamps hose harness I seems I would just have to release the fuel line locks rather than break them off the old module?? gas gauge actually works so no added advantage of the whole module or am I peeing in the wind ??Later Steve!!

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

yes I'm doing good with amazon for GM parts

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Steve I've always changed the whole module. Too much work to go back in if something else fails. The customer always blames the mechanic. :)

If it were my own car I might consider it, but I haven't had to make the choice yet (knocks on wood).

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    You are looking at this incorrectly.....

Amazon is nothing more then a venue for ANYONE to advertise parts or equipment.
    It doesn't guarantee quality anymore then Ebay, or any other random E-store.

You can buy junk, or you can buy good stuff through them.
    The nice thing about Amazon is they have reviews on the product you're buying you can read.

Just out of curiousity tho......
    Is this price you're finding INCLUDING a new fuel sending unit ?
    Try to find out if it's just a pump or if it is the entire assembly.
    Should be ALOT cheaper i'd think if you could just get a new pump by itself.

This guy used a Walbro 255 in his S10......do a search. They are only ~$100-120
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/sucessful-walbro-255-install-sticky-material-242689/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    Steve I replaced the pump only in my son's Firebird. $20 for the pump versus $200 for the module. That was about a year and 10k miles ago.

9. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

May 13, 2003
    Kingman, AZ
    Have and would again ...

10. 72'z'steve

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    Aces,the 180 was for the whole module,they have a ac delco pump kit for like $60. The part I was looking at was stocked and shipped from amazon from what I understand,because they listed other matches but from what appear to be "outside"vendors or advertisers. All the items Ive ever bought from them were listed as in stock from amazon and came from an amazon distributing site [husky liners for the moneypit etc.]We have another blazer for her to drive so I can drop the tank and see if anything breaks upon dissassembly My flat rate friend who helped me do the first just broke the plastic ports off the old module because"we ain't reusin it anyway'" When I lower the tank I'll work the pick in there to try to release the connections and go from there.
    Knuckle I know how you do things for a "paying customer"if you save them a penny and it works you're the hero, if it fails why did you do that!!! and you do it the "right" way for free-been there done that!!!The last module we put in the other blazer had a bad level sender also so it killed two birds with one stone.If I were doing this for ANYONE except myself I wouldn't even consider just a pump versus the whole module!! Thanks for the help Steve!!