Workbench

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Strange81Z, Jan 6, 2011.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I used these brackets to mount a used piece of countertop in my shop for a work area near my gardern tractor and snowblower:

[​IMG]

They are rated to support 150 pounds each.

I'm able to park my tractor underneath to save floor space.

Well, if you really want a picture of the used countertop - I'll get you one...;)

But at least there is an image on the thread now!

2. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Those ^ supports work great also, hold all my odd stock in the woodshop with them.

Here's one I googled. Obviously the number of supports would depend on the length and use of the bench.
    [​IMG]

3. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    My bench isn't going to be a triangle, the supports are. I want my new garage to have absolutly nothing on the floor, not even legs for my bench, unless it's on wheels. I want to be able to move shit around and clean really good. My last garage had a bench simular to yours and I had my tool boxes underneath it. I found myself spending too much time cleaning around the crap under my bench and on the floor. I want to be able to just sweep the entire floor, or even blow it out with compressed air. The bench will run the entire length of the wall.

Something like the shelf Chevrolaine posted is what I'm thinking of doing only with triagles of plywood so it takes up less space.

4. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    I think I found a possible solution:

[​IMG]

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    +10000000! Keep the floor clear! Put everything up on shelves! I HATE the way our garage has "stuff" on the floor as it makes cleaning it a female dog! Last summer I built tons of shelves from 6' to withing 2' of the 10' high ceiling (but ran out of ambition to move suff up there so the right hand bay is still full of crap).

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    THAT is a super nice work bench.

7. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA

Ok, now I need to see pics of your garage.

I'm HORRIBLY OFFENDED that keeping everything off the floor and being able to move everything around in a garage is even possible.

8. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    No can do....LOL....

I'm in an apartment right now as my new house is being built and it's still in the design phase. I'm not even sure what it's going to look like myself. I'm in the middle of lot fits now to see if I can shove a attached three car garage on my lot....

Just trying to plan everything out, but at a minimum I'll have 10x10 shop area in the garage...If I get the three car garage I'll have a 20x10 shop area in the rear of the three car bays.. WOOT!

Shawn

9. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA

Again, still offended at the idea its even possible.

I've got a HUGE compressor, a 20 ton shop press, a couple of sets of shelves that sit on the floor(five high shelves), my roll around box is so heavy that it never moves, and various other heavy stuff stacked on the floor.

I recently made a TON of new space, I cleaned the crap out of my garage. I found drywall scraps from when I drywalled the garage in 2003(not many, but a few), took a truckload of crap to the dump, and gave a bunch of stuff away. Sadly, the reason I cleaned it all out was to make way for the three truckloads of Camaro parts I bought, about half of which is still in the garage because they're still for sale:whine:

And today my project is to see if I can hang some shelves from the ceiling, which will be interesting to do with a broken right hand. Even if i do get them up, they may not be sturdy enough, I may have to make some out of 3/4 plywood and punched angle.

Before you think I have a giant garage, I've got a 2 car garage. And by two cars, I mean two cars if they were both Geo Metro's, I had nothing else in the garage but a broom, and you'd have to crawl out the windows to get out

10. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

LOL It makes it nice when you need to hose it out also. Obviously not Everything such as compressors and bigger cabinets can be moved but hey, their waterproof. It's all the little junk that I hate on the floor.