Workbench

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Strange81Z, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Guys,

I'm looking for idea's on how to build a workbench in my garage. I want the rear to mount to the wall and the space below to be free and clear with no legs up front. I have idea's but want to see what else you guys can come up with.

Pics would help too... :crazy:

2. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
  3. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA

I could give you pics of my bench, but it's kind of got legs.

I don't know how big you want to go(I think mine's 32" wide), but if you want to get any strength out of it, you're going to have to put kicker supports under it that will be so big that you might as well add legs

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Can't provide pictures but years ago I built a STURDY work bench out of 2" X 8" X 8' pine planks. Made it 36" deep. Glued the planks (with liquid nails) to 4" X 4" pine posts and attached them with deck screws. Made the legs out of 2" X 2" X 1/4" angle iron with X braces between the front and back legs on each end (you could bolt it to your wall by leaving the 4" X 4" beams longer) and use 4" X 4" for front legs. I then put a pice of 1/4" steel about 2' wide and to the back of the bench for a "pounding" area. Sealed the wood with tongue oil. Mounted a Wilton vice (it was HUGE, probably a 8" opening one) onto the steel plate. My dad made drawers for it that went from the floor to the underside of the bench that gave us a ton of storage. It was still in that old garage when they tore the house and garage down.

IF you can afford it, oak is much better for a bench top than pine.

I found one like the one I built at Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/60-x-30-Heavy-Duty-Birch-Workbench/H8361

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. Ryan 79

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA
  6. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

I don't have a pic but I've had success before with a 2x4 top frame lag screwed to the studs against the wall and then ran three 2x4's at a 45 degree angle to the studs also. If you only go 8', you can probably get away with just one on each end.

7. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    That's my idea too, but my garage is sheetrocked so I wanted to see if there are other ideas. Also, instead of a 2x4 I was thinking a triangle of 3/4" plywood. I may lag an angle bracket to the studs then bolt the triangle to the angle bracket. This should give me enough strength.

Thanks for the input.....you too Ryan and Cardinal

8. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

I think that would work just fine...and give you another spot for stickers on each end!:bowtie:

9. Ryan 79

Mar 29, 1999
    Granite Falls, WA
    Damn, you want a small workbench.

The shelves I have running around my garage ceiling are 3/4 plywood, 16 inches wide. They've got 16 in wide 2x4 "L" brackets on them, with a 2x4 kicker that runs from the bottom of the "L" on the wall to the very top outside edge of the "L" on the shelf.

While these shelves are extremely strong, the kicker on the "L" brackets take up a LOT of space, which is why I'm trying to talk you out of your plan and have you build a bench like mine, even if it's triangle shaped.

If you used a similar plan to mine, you could put a shelf beneath the bench and put stuff on it, which you won't be able to do if you triangle support it.

10. rgearhead

rgearhead Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 14, 2006
    SOUTHWEST CHICAGO, ILL
    Ok , no pic's .... this thread sucks balls.. carry on ...