Wood Frame Rotisserie - Pics

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 77RS, Sep 22, 2007.

1. sspony

sspony New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    D.C.
    Also, I noticed the 2x6's, didnt trust the 2x4's? I was gonna do the same thing, but being a poor college guy that wasn't an option. I'm finding attaching the car to be the most unstable part. I still have my front clip on, so its alot longer and more flexible. A lot more torque on the areas that connect to the car.

2. DaveD

DaveD Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Ashebro, North Carolina
    I had the 2x6's left over from my storage building.

3. sspony

sspony New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    D.C.
    Very nice... How did you attach the car to the rotis? I have mine all set up, but idk if i trust it. Any close up pics of the rotating assembly and how it connects to the car?

4. DaveD

DaveD Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Ashebro, North Carolina
    As far as strength, mine was way over kill..
    I used doubled 2x6 on the ends and each X was interlocked so the joint was not just held by screws alone.
    To mount the body;
    On the rear I bolted a 2x6 and 2 2x6 blocks as spacers to the bumper mounts.
    I then bolted this to the rotisserie with a 3/4" bolt with six washers on the nut side, I greased the bolt and washers provided friction when tightened so the car would not turn too easy.

[​IMG]

The front took a little more work, I used a doubled 2x4 bolted at the top to the fender mount on the firewall and on the bottom to the body mount. I then bolted a 2x6 across these to mount to the rotisserie just like the rear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. sspony

sspony New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    D.C.
    Thanks for the details man. I'm gonna put mine up tomorrow afternoon, so i'll be sure to post a pic. The biggest thing I was worried about was the cross member that has the whole drilled in it. The 2x6 in your case, and a 2x10 in mine. The hole is off-center on mine, and I was concerned it could split. I reinforced it with a 2x4 so we'll see.

Attached Files:

6. sspony

sspony New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    D.C.
    Well tried to put the car up today... Failed pretty badly. Couldn't lift it high enough to mount it to the rotisserie. Now its out in the yard on the ground... Need to come up with another way to lift it up.

7. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    If you are still checking on this thread, can you post measurement of the base of the triangle or the length of the arms. Thanks.