wont go into park

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by gfunk1234, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Brandy1979

Brandy1979 New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Colorado
    How do u adjust shift linkage

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    He has two completely separate issues that he’s trying to address.

First issue is the “not going into park” issue. Pull the shifter linkage off of the shifter arm on the transmission. Put the transmission into park. Try to rotate the driveshaft. If it rotates, then there is a problem with the transmission shifter park pawl. You may have broken the park pawl by trying to put the car into park with the vehicle moving.

ASSUMING that the park pawl is broken, you need to replace the park pawl. For the life of me, I cannot remember how to replace it! It’s too early in the AM to go into my “library” in the master bedroom to dig out my book on how to rebuild transmissions (Evil is asleep and she needs her rest). IF you determine that the park pawl is indeed broken, PM member jakeshoe on what to do to replace it.

IF, however, you didn’t ruin the park pawl, then you need to nail down the shifter linkage adjustment and follow what other people have posted in regards achieving the correct alignment of the shifter linkage.

Second issue: both wheels turning in opposite direction.

When you had the differential cover off, you should have been looking at the carrier assembly to see if it was an open differential or a posi (positive traction) unit. An open differential would have four spider gears with NOTHING in the middle of them. A posi would have four spider gears with a springs and clutch packs in the middle of it.

IF you have a posi and it’s worn, when you turn one wheel the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction acting like an open differential without a posi unit in it. Some posi units will act like an open differential UNTIL it is under load = you’re hammer the throttle, the axle shafts flex enough to engage the posi unit otherwise the posi isn’t engaged with “normal” driving.

3. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Dec 12, 2010
    MEMPHIS,TN
    Trying to not mess up

I am just adding to this thread because it was the closest one I could find to what I am trying to check. We are putting everything back together the best we can and wanted to know if there were any quick checks we should do for this linkage.
    During the rebuild we didnt mess with any of the steering lock rod adjustment. We just left it hanging and worked around it. We did not drive the car much when we first got it because it was burning coolant and the temp gauge was not working. We did drive it up and down the street once and shifted reverse, neutral and drive.
    After we reconnected it all back up tonight this is what we have:
    It will lock the floor shifter without the key in and turned.
    With the key in and turned we can go through all the gears.
    Is there an adjustment or check we should do, our should we just leave it since it seems to be working?
    Car still not in running condition because still hooking up all the engine stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Sean