wont go into park

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by gfunk1234, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    Yes

Ya it's a magnet and I nothing looked wrong in ther so I put it back together and filled with gear oil Then tranny to put the pan and linkage on the drive shaft doesn't spin but tires do so I don't understand what is wrong

2. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    Have you hooked back up the gear selector cable to the trans? If so, have you shifted out of park to L1 then checked to see the drive shaft move then back to park and see the drive shaft locked? If all that checks out, drop the car back to the ground and see if it rolls in park.

3. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ok

yes i hooked up the linkage to the shift slector still the same thing moved gears then back to park drive shafts locks up but wheels still roll. Ok if the wheels roll when in park what is stoping them from rolling when on the ground

4. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    You have been added to my 'ignore list' until you learn how to use punctuation and the Shift key.

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I love you! You are the awesomeest connoisseur of the well written and puncuated word. Delightfully respectful while merely stating your opinion and the resulting actions you will undertake, Well said!

6. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    It's the way a differential works. When it's in the air and you turn one wheel, the spider gears will allow the wheels to spin independently of the pinion and ring gear.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

7. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ok

Ok thanks for your help! I havent droped the car yet I will get around to it bye the weekend let you know what happens.

8. firebird69racer

firebird69racer Veteran Member

Oct 14, 2006
    San Bernardino,Ca
    If you don't want to drop the car on the ground. With it in the air and in park have someone hold one wheel so it won't turn, then see if you can turn the other wheel. If you can turn the wheel and the drive shaft turns as you turn the wheel then the trans is not in park.
    If you can't turn the wheel then it is in park, unless you have a posi rear end.

9. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    k

so i got my bro to hold the wheel it didnt turn i gess it just need to be adjusted. I wish some body could have told me this before i ripped the diff cover off oh well Thanks guys

10. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA

That's what ^ this was! You didn't know what you were doing and still wanted to resist my encouragement to put the car on the ground. So I laid out the cost to inspect the rear in order to clear your mind on the rearend before you dropped it to the ground. I didn't question why you would rather pull the rear cover than put it on the ground first, but you made it clear that putting the car back on the ground was not an option.
    Sorry for the advice.