wont go into park

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by gfunk1234, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    so

So the back wheels are not going to lock up in park just the drive shaft is not going to move is this correct?

2. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    The rear differential will allow the tires to spin opposite each other when they are both in the air when turning by one of the wheels. If your car is off the ground and the driveshaft won't turn, the car should not roll when on the ground unless there is something broke in the differential.

I still am having a tough time understanding how you are putting the trans into park. Are you manipulating the linkage within the pan or turning the exterior linkage that attaches to the gear selector inside the car?

Let's isolate the trans from the rear diff. If you rotate the linkage, exterior of the trans that connects to the shifter cable, counter clockwise or toward the front of the car all the way, does the driveshaft lock? If so, then Park is working. What you need to figure out next is if the trans will go into park when hooked up to the gear selector in the car.

So report on what happens when you rotate the exterior linkage. Then report results when the shifter cable is hooked up.

3. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ok

Ok so the trans is in park the drive shaft does not move but the wheels still spin free no I dont have linkage hooked up yet but I moved in to parkbye hand and the rear tiers still spin could it be somthing in the dif and its posie if that matters its a 80 z

4. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    Are the rear wheels and tires in the air spinning or on the ground and the car rolls while the driveshaft does not turn?

5. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ya

ya there in the air spining i dont wanna drop the car tell i figure it out

6. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    If both wheels and tires are off of the ground they will spin when you rotate one of the wheels. If the driveshaft is not turning when in park, then the parking prawl is holding.

You now need to follow the directions from grzewnicki above to set the shift cable.

If you are really that against putting it back on the ground, take the diff cover off and see if there is carnage. It will cost you a gasket and fluid. I really think this is likely a shifter adjustment issue and not a rear diff issue.

On edit: You want to make sure the gear selector will shift down to L1 and back to park and verify park before taking it off the stands.

7. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ok

ok so I opened up the diff and there is a round thing stuck to the back of the diff that broke off looks like a big washer does any body have a idea of what this is thanks

8. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
  9. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    ya

oh are you saying the thing that i think is broken off is a magnet?

10. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    Is it magnetic?

It isn't uncommon for rear diffs to have a magnet that looks like a thick washer.

Do you see an obvious location that it fractured from? Pics?