wont go into park

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by gfunk1234, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    Ok my car wont go in to park it put it in gear and it still rolls back and forth what can cause this my carb caught fire timing is off ! so i threw it in park to put it out and gess what car started rolling back f@#$ing car so is there any main thing to check? thanks guys

2. linkage,
    shifter cable

take the console out, have a friend shift it through the gears while u lay under it, look what happens if he shifts.

3. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    If it has a floor shifter turn the lower part of the steering column by hand. Sometimes the cable is stretched and it won't go all the way back into park, usually when this happens the key won't come out of the ignition either.

4. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

May 15, 2010
    georgia
    you really have me confused here a floor shifter has nothing to do with the column did u mean column shift. mines doing the same thing in my impala but i think its the shift linkage

5. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    Camaro's with floor shifters have a linkage that goes back to the steering column from the tranny. If you only have a column shift you are already moving the lower piece of the steering column/gear selector so if you have this problem you have worn bushings in your linkage

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Sounds like the shifter linkage is out of adjustment. USUALLY it's adjusted with the transmission in park.

7. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    does it matter

ok when i was working on the tranny before I took that skinny round bar between the master cyclinder and fire wall out the one that is connected to the steering and the linkage does this matter i thought it was only a saftey thing so the steering cant move well the car is in park thanks I am new to this camaro thing long story but slowly getting it thanks guys

8. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
  9. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    so

so what does this mean put it back in are what?

10. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The link back to the steering column locks the trans in park when you have the key in the off position, also operates the neutral safety switch and reverse lights too . It will still shift fine assuming it is a coinsole shifted trans and not column shifted.