wisco fuel cell expanding for some reason

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Justinvandenberg, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Justinvandenberg

Justinvandenberg New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hi, I have the 700 series vented cap from Wisco, but after filling up the tank and driving about 50km around town, I looked in the trunk and the tank had expanded so much it busted loose one of the straps on the top of the tank.

Is my cap malfunctioning? 20170825_171406.png

2. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    If there wasn't a big pressure release when you took the cap off I'd say no. However if the the vent is partially clogged it could still build pressure slowly. Is that a return line on top of the cell? If so it may be possible that the return is building pressure.

BTW welcome to Nasty!

3. Justinvandenberg

Aug 25, 2017
    There was a big pressure release when I popped the cap open. So I am soaking it in seafoam for a few hours and will blow out the air vent...maybe it got plugged from that tank sitting for so many years.

The return line should be good, as it was just installed last week.

Thanks for the reply...hope things are fixed after seafoam treatment....

4. Justinvandenberg

Aug 25, 2017
    I made sure the four small holes in the vent were not clogged. But after a short drive i noticed there is still expansion of the tank, and the cap is not venting...despite the vent holes being unclogged...should i just drill out the holes to make them larger?

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. muscl car

Forgot to mention are you running a vent line from your tank that is coiled 3x's and vented from underneath the vehicle ??

7. Justinvandenberg

Aug 25, 2017
    I am putting in a vent line now...the cap just didn't have enough venting to relieve the pressure from the return line.

8. muscl car

9. Justinvandenberg

Aug 25, 2017
    I put in a vent line, and the expansion issue is gone. However, the fuel smell is a little more now when the garage is closed...I wonder could I put a charcoal vapour canister on the end of the vent line to curb that fuel smell?

10. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Yeah, a charcoal canister should solve your smelly garage! you can probably get one from a junk yard, but getting one that will fit where you want it too may be a challenge. If you do a Google Search on "charcoal canister for hot rod" there is quite a few links to home made and after market units.