Wiring ?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by luke35whelan, Aug 24, 2003.

1. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Lizella GA, USA
    Not sure where this post goes. The wiring in my '72 is shot, along with a lot of other stuff. Rather than screw with the brittle old crap I'd like to replace everything. How painless is the Painless stuff ? I'm not a mechanic but can follow directions (been married 13 years) I'm going with a switch panel and would like a fuse block with plenty of spots for stuff I add in the future, fuel pump, fan, water pump.... How hard is this to do ? Looks like some of the Painless kits come complete with lamp sockets and everything else.

------------------
    1972 Camaro, 406" SBC, full roller, Performer RPM, 750 DP, Quarter stick...

2. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    I have read a few posts calling them painfull, but it's gotta be better than building your own

------------------
    Yahoo messenger ID archemedes74 feel free to add me
    Give blood play hockey!

3. SCOTT CORBETT

SCOTT CORBETT Veteran Member

Apr 11, 2003
    ont. canada
    I run a 72 camaro rs the someone wired up for a switch panel, what a mess and try to trace anything, good luck!!
    This past winter I rewired the hole car, from headlight to taillight. I used a wiring harness from a 1981 camaro. Yeah, I know the taillights are different, 72 has one red lenes for both blinker and brake. The 81 has a red brake and a seperate yellow for turn. Ive figured out how you can switch the harness to work on the 72 with just one modifcation. If your interested let me know and I can get into more details.

4. mblaine1

mblaine1 Veteran Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Littleton, CO
    Sorry for being late to the party, but I've seen the Painless kit. All the wires are loose - not prewrapped - but each one is marked - printed right on the wire. I decided to go with a set from Factory Fit instead for my '70. It was wrapped just like original with all the correct ends.

------------------
    70 RS/Z28 http://community.webshots.com/user/mblaine1

5. cam80

cam80 Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2003
    savannah, GA USA
    mblaine: how much was the Factory Fit wires? i have the painless kit im about to throw in my 'maro but yeah...its all loose. which i guess could work out to be ok since i plan on running things a little differently through my car. are the wires marked though like the Painless kits?
    -brent

6. mblaine1

mblaine1 Veteran Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Littleton, CO
    I ordered the Factory Fit set through Classic Industries. You have to order each harness separately - front lights, engine, underdash, etc. Not cheap at around $895, but I thought it was less confusing. Everything fell in place nicely. The harnesses are all pre-wrapped with correct colors and connectors. They are not marked like Painless. But I tagged the old set and matched it up with the new. I also used the Assembly Manual which includes a wiring diagram. You can order that through Classic as well.