Wiring question

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by cubangt, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Since my 76 was taken out of the garage to the shop, I was using this time to add some shelves, reorganize a little and move things into the attic and so on.. once the car moves back in, I wont have much access to that side of the garage, so I wanted to go ahead and install additional lighting in the garage.

[​IMG]

In the above pic the green are existing light and wall switch, the 2 black are where im going to place the new shop lights.. I already have everything from previous DIY projects, so its just a matter of the wiring.

I want to run the 2 additional lights off the same switch, these are florescent shop lights and just want to tie in with the existing one so I can turn them on together.

Can anyone offer how to on the wiring? I would think that they would need to be in series? is that correct?

2. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    There is a standard based on box volume for how many wires can terminate in it. I don't know the code, but a standard single gang box probably should not have 3 sets of wires into it, plus the feed (parallel setup), even though there are generally at least 4 openings for wires in the box.
    Series wiring avoids this by adding the new wires to the existing light (assuming there is a box at the light) or 2 sets if you run to each of the new lights from there.
    There are deep boxes available, or you can use a bigger 4x4 switch box with a single switch cover and run them all to the switch. Then you would also have the option to change how they are switched in the future.

Sorry, not really a concrete answer. One of the real electricians may have something to add.

3. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    You wouldnt need a box at the light, would you? Can't you wire off the existing ballasts? Also, most ballasts come with wiring diagrams, and there are different kinds.

4. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    that's cool, I just want to make sure when I start that I have anything I may need so I don't have to run to the store..

5. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Well go up in the attic cut and mounted the electrical boxes and actually found 2 wires already coming out of the exiting light I was going to tap into that are wired and live, so just dropped them into the new boxes and ready for the fixtures to be installed.