Wired the compressor finally!

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 71flh, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    I bought an 80 gallon compressor this summer and finally decided I wasn't going to build a sort of lean-to shed on the side of the garage to house it.

I called an electrician a few weeks ago about pulling a 240V 40A and 120V 20A circuit to the garage from the back of the house. He said I would need a new panel $1400, the 240V line would be $225 and the 120V line $125. With the cost of copper, I'd guess those are just labor prices but I didn't bother asking.

Well, I hate the attic but not that much so last weekend I plotted and bought material.

Today I ran the 2 circuits and wired things up. My first career was as an electrician so doing the work isn't a big problem, its breathing the insulation and being in the attic makes my back hurt. Since it already hurts and 5 trips to the chiropracter hasn't fixed it yet, what the hey.

Anyway, the compressor runs, pumps up to 175psi pretty quick and not too loudly even. Now I need to plumb some lines.

The 120V circuit was because the whole garage is on the same 15A circuit and running wood through the table saw too fast trips the breaker. I just put a pair of duplex outlets in the ceiling...

:)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I have two circuits to my garage on two different breakers. One is only for a compressor or welder, 30 amp/ 240 volt. The other is 15 amp/120v for lights and the other basic stuff.

3. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    I ran 50' of 3/4" black pipe after some research and put the filter water separator combo on the end with a regulator. It's a bit minimal, but not too bad.

So far I've just played with it but it seems to have plenty of air.

4. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    What brand of compressor?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I put a sub-panel in my garage so I can have whatever power I need in there. A decent sized sub panel in the garage is one of best garage tools you can own.
    [​IMG]

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Great project.

One piece of advice: drain the compressor (of water) after each time you use it. The water (condensation) will raise havoc with the tank and lines (rust) and in cold weather (like I live in) break lines when the ice expands. I went so far as to install a 1/2" copper line out of the bottom of my vertical tank compressor with a 1/4 turn ball valve that I kick open every time I walk by it till the water clears. The 1/2" line extends out of my garage through the concrete block wall so the water is venter outside.

7. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Its a Saylor-Beall VT-735-80. Exactly like the one in the pic but old. All parts made in the US unlike what you see at Tractor Supply and the home stores these days.

The box on the right is a magnetic starter, which is a big relay controlled by the pressure switch. When I got it, the starter was wired to be always on and the pressure switch controlled everything. There was a separate box with a giant switch to controll the whole mess.

http://www.automotiveshopequipment.net/pages/Saylor/default.htm

I put some elbows, pipe and a ball valve on the bottom to make it easier to drain.

Gary, That subpanel is only slightly, if at all smaller than my main panel so its not really an option at this point. I guess you fed that from the main panel? What size cable and breaker did you feed it with?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It is a 100A panel. I fed it from my main 150A panel with a 100A breaker and #2 copper wire. It seems to handle anything I throw at it. In the winter I run dual 240v electric heaters when I'm out there. Together the two heaters need about 40A, but that leaves me plenty to run my 120v stuff and my 240v compressor when I need it.

9. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I have the same issue with my garage, one receptacle on the adjacent wall. I tapped into the garage door opener circuit and put a plug up there for my chord reel. I have to post somoe pics of it.....it's HUGE!!! I acquired it from my firehall. I spooled it with 100ft of 12/3 and have a four gang boxon the end.

My compressor is in my basement and plumbed out to the garage. I had to run a seperate circuit for my radiant heater, that's ran in conduit. Here's the pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to run the gas line, air line and electrical all next to each other because of where my bench is.

10. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I ran 3 120 outlets and a 220 before I sheet rocked my garage and I'm already wishing I had done more... haha