wipers stuck on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by dvalleliz28, Dec 2, 2002.

1. dvalleliz28

dvalleliz28 Veteran Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Dracut, MA USA
    Has anyone else had this problem? I've already tried a different wiper switch, but that didn't solve it. Before I dig in and start testing wires, can anyone shed some light on this??

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The most common reason for this is the washer pump isn't cycling completely. Until it completes its wash cycle, the wiper motor runs to wipe the windshield. You can manually cycle the pump if you have the cover off it.

Second, IF you have delay wipers, there is a relay inside the wiper motor that allows the delay to work. This part has a very high failure rate. If it hangs up, either the wipers won't start, or they run all the time.

If it is bad, you have to replace it.

3. dvalleliz28

dvalleliz28 Veteran Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Dracut, MA USA
    How do I manually cycle the pump? I think that may be the problem, as I was trying to get the washer to work...

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Pull the plastic cover off the pump, and plug the wires back in. Then start things up.

In the center of the pump motor assembly you should see a small metal relay arm held in place by a spring. Wiggling it as the pump turns should help it find its way back into position where it should shut off.

If it hangs up like this once, it will most likely continue because it is worn out. You can buy a replacement washer pump at pretty much any auto parts store for about 30 bucks, and then your problem should be gone for another 15 years or so.