Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Oct 14, 2008.

1. canadianzed

canadianzed Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2001
    I get the underside,in doors and rockers etc. liberally (rust-checked/ krown) oiled so it creeps into all the nooks and crannies, wash and wax, then park in the unheated garage with car cover till spring. what's the point of starting it every so often?- just causes condensation, short warm up nothing rotates (axle, trans, rotors)
    Been doing "not much" for years and so far no problems in the cold Canadian climate.

2. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I'm just parking mine for the first time. Basically added Stabil to the gas, topped it up and ran for awhile. It's now parked in the garage until spring, unless we get a warm spell and I have time to work on it. I used to own a Vette and would just park it in a garage until spring. No major issues in the spring, just charged the battery before trying to start. I did lay down some plywood to help keep the moisture from the concrete from hitting the underside. I was told this would help. I guss I'll see next year! :)

3. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    That's all I've ever done. 6 months is not considered long term storage. I see no reason to put a car up on jack stands either. The only advice I have heard lately is to put some race gas in the tank, since it doesn't degrade like the crap we get at the pumps now.

4. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

My prep list

................Oh yeah, I don't have one. It's 76 and sunny here :cool: Sorry guy's, it seems like alot to do to store ur car.

5. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I'm very thankful for where i'm at. It does get cold no doubt but no snow. It is nice to take it out when it is like 35-40 out and let the heater work. The cars love the cold air.

6. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Wax it, change the oil & filter, add stabil to the gas, and cover it.

7. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    I'm always messing with mine, so it never really gets stored. I bought a good car cover for it, but I have yet to use it.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That is what I've done now for over 20 years with my Camaro and it likes it. Remember, cold storage is good for the car. Norhing including the gas deteriorates in the cold.
    Storage in hot weather is hard on the gas and all the plastics in the car.

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    ya but the salt is auto enemy numero uno

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Thats a good one.I got squatters coming in apparently now.