Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Any suggestions on how to store my car for the winter? It will be in an enclosed garage. I hear all kinds of stories about changing fluids or waiting until spring to change, squirting an ounce of oil in each cylinder, well, yadda, yadda....I'm open to suggestions.

2. David Hartley

David Hartley Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Glen St. Mary, Fl.
    Crank it up weekly or move to a warmer climate.

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    I have been tucking mine away for a while, and all i do for the winter is check the antifreeze, unhook the battery and kiss her goodnight:p ......... in the spring I change motor oil, check the rest of the fluids, crank her over for a little bit without setting the choke... build little oil pressure.... and then fire her up:)

4. Nate81camaro

Nate81camaro Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2006
    lost
    I'd put some Stabil in it and run the car to let it get into your carb (what I've always done and haven't had any problems with it so far). I've heard about change the oil before you store it, then change it again after you bring it out. As long as the oil's not really dirty, I usually leave the old stuff in then change it before I start it the next season. I don't put oil in the cylinders for storage (just over the winter, right?). Since I have a good trickle charger, I hook the battery up to that. Some guys will change the summer air in their tires to winter air before they store it too:). If you plan on covering it, I'd be really careful not to let your car turn into a shelf (been there, done that).

Just make sure you check your fluids before you start it once it gets warm again and you'll be good to go.

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

For 20 years now with various cars, I simply park it, ignore it, wait 6 months and drive it. I honestly think people put waaay too much thought into this.:bowtie:

6. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    Heh pretty much the same here, although I won't admit to the goodnight part, and I try to start them twice during the 4 month period where they're out of service.

I'm used to going out to a GM car and have it fire up after not being run for any extended period of time, my Mustang buddy on the other hand seems he has to perform a complete overhaul before any of the Ford's will start after only sitting a few weeks. :p

7. shawnbo78z

shawnbo78z New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    pittsburgh, pa
    I agree 100% I've done it both ways on several cars and see no great benefit in doing all the "prep work " . My Z sits with its shoes on the floor, keys in the ignition , ready to go out the door. Sometimes it does'nt even get started for 3 months and fires right over redy to cruise. Everyone has their own vices on things....bottom line do as little or as much to your ride as YOU think is needed to keep it the way YOU want it.

Shawn

8. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    put er on jack stands ta keep the mice out

9. DAWG

DAWG Veteran Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Colebrook, Connecticut
    up here in new england its best to drain coolant.
    put car on jackstands
    (put jack stands in a tray with your used coolant. Keeps mice out of car)
    write down what you drained etc. on a manila tag and attach to your ignition.
    (reminds you in the spring)
    I also stuff steel wool in the tailpipes incase field mice try to get in there.
    Also a good idea to crack the windows so the interior doesnt accumulate condensation. (or else youll have a musty odor come springtime)
    here is my camaro just coming out of last years storage.
    [​IMG]

10. 73Z28LT

73Z28LT Veteran Member

i think a little effort can't hurt. i add fuel stabilizer to gas, run engine for 5 minutes, disconnect battery, put foam insulation under tires, cardboard under car, cover car, & good night. Cost $7.00