Winter Project: 409 SBC AFR 220 Heads Upgrade

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by czizza, Jan 18, 2018.

1. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Hey guys ... I am doing an AFR 220 heads upgrade to my 409 SBC. It currently has a set of Edelbrock Proflow RPM 6089 (Originals) that I bought in 97; I have hand polished, ported and port matches these heads to my Proflow EFI.

The engine has been dyno'ed to 434hp at the wheels which is about 520 at the crank so this is no joke motor.

I know the old 178cc heads are just way under sized for this engine that is why I bought the 220s. That being said while doing the disassembly I saw all of the intake ports have had the gasket sucked in and in one cylinder it was broken. See photos, I heard this is normal and I need to check my straightness of the manifold and my china rail setup as well as when I assemble to use some sticky substance to prevent this.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This the one with the broken piece:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Next to checking the straightnes, had the gaskets the correct size or were they hanging over?

BTW, you might get reactions on the size (too big) of your new heads. But I think you made an outstending choice and can make some serious power. One word of advise, contact a cam manufacturer like Bullet, Howards or Straub and let them choose or better make you a cam. They will make your car fly :bowtie:

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Thank you for the update ... as for the CAM the one we have in the engine now (according to my engine builder) was getting starved buy the old heads. He said that the CAM I have ... I should be shifting at 7k.

When I built the motor I reused my old heads to save money and new about he future upgrade.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Sounds like you'll going to have some fun!

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Definitely run a straight edge on the intake, see if anything isn't flat. I've had that issue but not to that extreme and last couple times I put an intake manifold on, I put a thin coat of Permatex High Tack (Edelbrock Gasgacinch) around the intake ports on the head side. When you installed the intake, did you use oem china wall gaskets or make you own with RTV? I rolled my own a couple years ago, put the RTV on too thick, let it set up, and when I put the manifold on, it sat a bit high.

What heads are you going to use? I have the later Eddy 6089 - 185cc heads and while they flow good on my 355, we're going to 195cc Profiler heads on the 385.

Like said above, sounds like a fun engine.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    I think I know what happened to your gaskets. It's caused by the valve cover gaskets, had a bubbies car in the late 90's do that several time and he was stumped. What happens is the intake gasket around the port may sit above the head, then you bolt the valve cover on and it pushes the gasket down. Look at you ports all are pushed in where the valve cover studs stick out. Cure? trim the gasket at the top of the ports after you seal the intake gasket to the head. It should solve that problem.

7. turbodave

turbodave New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    On my 409 SBC with CNC ported Victor 215cc heads and a port matched Super Victor Intake I use Fel-Pro 1206S3 intake gaskets. Same port size has the regular 1206 but with a steel core. They don't get sucked in or pushed out under boost.
    I to think you made a good choice on those heads. I had out of the box Trick Flow 195cc heads with CNC chambers on mine when I first built it. It ran real strong when it was N/A and after I turbocharged it. But the Victor 215cc heads really made it come alive. I didn't realize how much the 195cc heads were choking it down.

Gaskets Here: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fel-1206s3/overview/

czizza likes this.
  8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I will check with SK SPEED and see if they have the steel ones. A few racers say the glue is enough too do the same I will double check on that too.

I am going to check the AFR if they are matched to my gaskets today because I think they are a little off. Can't wait to get this done :lush:

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Yanked the headers and the drivers side head ... after 7000 miles and about 30 runs; no cylinder scars from the file and fit rings on the drivers side; the gasket looked uniformed ... just a little carbon build up but that was the computer over compensating for the air leaks from the manifold gaskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Here is a comparison between old heads and new:

Newer valve size is about an 1/8 bigger:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old mouth looks bigger but the throat is a lot different:
    [​IMG]

Hard to see but the coolant ports are different and the angle of the spark plug as well as the position is different:
    [​IMG]

Gasket fitment and port locations are a little different plus new heads has a lip to keep the valve cover gasket away from manifold:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust ports are different too, you can see the old ones have a bigger mouth (probably why I always leaked):
    [​IMG]