Window Glass....

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by garyandcindy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I've never seen or heard anyone say that they bought aftermarket glass and it fit perfectly.I've seen plenty that fit.But not perfectly.Most that i've seen for 2nd gen's did not have the correct curve to the glass to fit snug against the outside door weather stripping.And all my hardware is there.It's was an original car wth 9,000 miles on it when i bought it.

2. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    OMG.. I have to add info as well as ask for some

Bought the OER drivers side glass for a 72 I'm working on. The stock glass was super scratched and the felts were all gone, the brackets in the door had actually broke off from fatigue and the seal had deteriorated years and years ago.

So today I got the seal changed out with I think "soft seal" of something like that. Seemed to fit really well. Also got the bracket welded back together and the hardware transferred to the OER glass. Well after a huge amount of swearing and carrying on I could get it to shut without gaps, but with some noticable pressure on the window. Problem is, there is no way to roll it down and get it to roll back into position without opening the door to "reset" the pressure against the seal.

If I was the HULK I woulda ripped the door off the car and sent it to the sun. Any guides would help a bunch. How do you explain this to someone about having all these new parts but they can't even roll the window down and up?

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I had the same problem. Spent hours trying to adjust it. Finally found that the piece of crap didn't fit because it was too wide by over 1/4 inch. Ordered new from Pilkington. It's in the doors, but I'm still in the 5 gallon bucket of patience. It is emptying fast though!

Bossman likes this.
  4. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    after reading your original post again, I grabbed the stock glass to see just what in the world was going on . Here is what I found.

The stock glass was about 3/16" longer on the back side. I couldn't tell on the front since I have the new glass installed and the angle wouldn't allow me to see if it was the same. Edit.. The length issue might be an optical illusion. But the curvature is not.

But the big surprise was the curvature. The stock one was flatter while the OER had more curve which means the back engages the seal much sooner making it impossible to roll the window all the way up after rolling it down while the door is closed. It also adds to the pressure on the glass. I guess that's what you get with OER type glass. My local glass guy, who I trust, wanted $337 and special order. This one was like 102 + s/h

Also... they make a design 1 and 2 ??? But not for this specific year.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Bossman-
    FWIW-. The problem you're having getting your window to roll up completely after changing the glass and WS is the same prob I am having after changing out the roof rail WS with the original glass in place. With the door closed the window will roll up to about a half inch short of the top. And this after spending hours adjusting and readjusting the window, including the 'up travel stops'. I know there are others that have the same prob. With the Camaros frameless window it seems like any little change to the door or window can throw it out of kilter. In my case it was simply installing new GM WS which changed the way the door and/or window closed.
    Hopefully someone will come up with a good solution to the problem.

Bossman likes this.
  6. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    This is great news since now I know I am not alone and not crazy. I also have backup for when I have to explain this to the car's owner, my Aunt. Thanks for replying with your information.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    You got that switched. You are crazy, but when among us on here, not alone. All us car guys/gals are crazy to some degree.
    Cool to have a car-gal Aunt.