Window Glass....

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by garyandcindy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I know window glass has been talked about alot on this forum but alot of the searched threads are pretty old.Unless I missed one.Who is making the best fitting window glass for our cars right now?What i have now is not fitting quite right.Seems a little long and making window adjustment difficult.I think it's Pinkaton or something like that.Who carries the best right now?

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Auto city classic is who I purchased from and used. Usually the best deal you will find. Some of the glass was Pilkington glass made here in USA. I think they are buying over seas now. Nobody makes a perfect OEM replacement that I have found. Adjusting the door glass windows is always a big task due to the multiple adjustments on our 2nd gens. I think you can buy directly from Pilkington. But a lot more pricey.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is a pain. My pass door had all the pieces parts removed. I spent at least 2 hrs trying to get it right. Then it started to rain so I had to move my car in the garage. That was a couple months ago. I still have to go and mess with it to finish. Other things pop up and the Camaro gets put on the back burner. Then the car becomes a shelf for all kinds of junk. Maybe try to find a parts car on C/L to get OEM windows if they are not scratched up.

tomsti likes this.
  4. garyandcindy

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I have the oem glass that has water spots on them and scratches.I doubt i could find any oem glass in decent shape.Was hoping someone was making a decent replacement by now.

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    How deep are the scratches? You should be able to polish the water spots out.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I'm new here and not certain that this subject isn't covered in a more current thread. First off, on my wife's '71 Z, we purchased OER weather seal kits for the doors from a 'secondary source'. What a bunch of crap! I got so sick of it, that it all was removed and tossed in the trash. Then I purchased a set from Steele Rubber Products. they fit as they should. I got the glass adjusted so the doors closed properly. It did seem that there was too much 'stress' on the seals though. I got in the car and tried to roll the windows up. They bound on the seal. Any effort to further the progress would have destroyed something. I removed both windows and their hardware. I laid them on some OEM PPG glass. The Benson replacements are about 1/4" too long. Even the upper rear corner is incorrect. I'm considering getting them ground and polished. We have all our receipts, but can't identify which were for the glass as some do not have (my fault) the part on them. I looked up Benson (china) and it says "Permanently Closed". As they should be with the kind of crap they made.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. garyandcindy

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    Had a pro detailer that said he could polish them out before i replaced them with aftermarket glass.And i'm here to tell you he could not.He made um look some what better.But no where near what i wanted!

8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Just bought side glass direct from Pilkington. Laid them over some OEMs and they seem to match. I installed them in the car but still have to start all over with adjustments because everything is way off from trying to make the other junk fit. Got them close. Is there an old thread showing adjustment tricks?

Bossman likes this.
  9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    I had both sides polished by a dedicated glass polisher and they came out great. The pass side was real bad from the rub strips, but he got it fixed up. About $200 as I recall. Money well spent.

10. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    I bought the cheapest new side windows I could find on ebay. I think they came in an AMD box but I can't be certain as I got all my windows from different suppliers. All of them fit perfectly and look great. To properly line up the side windows you need to make sure your hardware is all there and installed properly. Then you need a 5 gallon bucket of patience.

Smokey15 likes this.