Window air conditioners on a air compressor

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BTTB71SS, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Just have to ask if anyone has placed a window air conditioner towards their air compressor to keep it cool. I have a fan blowing on it now to keep it cool but it still hits almost 200 degree's. So i am thinking using a window air conditioner to solve the problem.

I have been doing a lot of sandblasting and my poor old IR is doing over time when it gets to be 95+ in the shed.

So what do you think go for it.

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I've installed many heat pump /ac units, I say yea do it. It may cause a little more condensation though.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK school me on how this is going to cause more condensation, becasue the tank is cool and the air is hot. I'm thinking the offset would be the a/c air is going to be extremely low humidity air?

4. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    I have a window A/C in my Garage. It is close to the air compressor but not pointing directly at it. It does keep things much cooler and I haven't noticed any problems with the air compressor from heat. I say go for it!

5. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    It just depends on the humidity in the air and conditions at the intake is all saying. Nothing too scientific to get into. I would just be aware of any possible changes.

6. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I did that with a 25000btu ac in my 2 car garage when I sandlasted the under side of my car last year