Will wax deteriorate from sitting?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by cgibsong002, Aug 26, 2011.

1. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've never waxed or applied any type of product really to my camaro since having it painted 3 years ago. it doesn't see rain or even cold weather really and is garaged. i've always just washed it. so i've never had experience with any other types of products. i was reading through this page: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?37320-Meguiar-s-5-Step-Paint-Care-Cycle-Updated! as one of you posted, and i'm inspired to give it a shot. i'm thinking the M09 followed by the pure carnauba wax. the paint is fairly new and hasn't seen much weather, so i'm thinking i can combine the clean/polish in one step.

anyway, to my original question. i'm leaving for college tomorrow, i may be back to drive the car in a week, or it could be two months. if i polish/wax the car and then cover it in the garage.. will it look as good when i come back as it does today? or am i wasting my time by doing this if i won't potentially be driving it for a while again?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    In the garage, wax will last for a long long time.

3. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ok, thanks. Doesn't look like I'll be doing that though. WalMart didn't have the #9 and i ended up picking up the nxt 2.0 wax. I found a think of meguiars polishing compound here as well as a turtle wax brand compound. Figured id just try the polish since they said they get rid of minor swirls and my car barely had any. The meguiars did nothing for the swirls and the turtle brand made it much, much worse. So that was a huge disappointment. I also found an old bottle of 'kit' swirl compound which did a little, but not much. The nxt 2.0 said it actually gets rid of minor swirls as well so i applied a small section to try but I'm not counting on it. Guess I'll most likely just wait until next time i come home and get the scratchX as well as a DA then do it in 3 steps like i should. Are DA's as easy to use as they sound or should i practice on a beater car first?

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I've found car wax(the tough old turtle variety) that my Dad had purchased when I was just a kid....I've used up the entire can with good results...the stuff is so tough to get off the car after it hazes over that you will swear not to ever use it again...but it lasts so good and your memory of how tough it was to remove escapes you, so you use it again.....LOL

5. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Surprisingly the 2.0 wax did remove... Or at least hide.. A very good amount of scratches that the turtle wax brand polishing compound put in, but as expected it didn't completely remove everything. I'll just wait so I can do it right. Is there a bug difference between different brands DAs or not really? WalMart had a couple really cheap ones.

6. deputbig

deputbig Veteran Member

Oct 23, 2009
    port republic, md
    ^^^^^Agreed

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Yep, even the 'cheapest' wax will last a long time out of the weather. Sun and acid rain are the 2 biggest enemies of paint. If you're parking with a roof overhead, you're automatically protected from both. I'd still like a coat of wax protection regardless if it were mine.

8. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah its unfortunate I never was knowledgeable about this stuff. Its a two year old paint job and I never did anything but a wash and wax car wash. Now I see the swirl marks and realize what I should've been doing. For now though at least I've got it garages and covered, so there's no risk with it sitting.

But when I can, what would you guys recommend I use? Like I said I already have the nxt wax and a polishing compound. Should I try the swirl #9 ? That will also clean a bit, so I shouldn't need a clay bar if the paint is new and out of the elements, right? Or should I look at the scratch remover instead since I already have a pure polish for afterwards?

Since the car hardly gets driven and is always garaged I just want something that I can use to do it right and have it last a long time.

9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    How do you plan on applying the product? By hand or buffer?

With 3 year old paint that hasn't been in the weather, you DEFINITELY shouldn't need a clay bar. I wouldn't 'think' you would even need a machine applied product either.

The #9 applied by hand should be good enough to remove light swirls. Follow up with a coat of Meguiars Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus wax. Make sure your application pads are clean/new (and I prefer mine a little damp). You should be good to go...just be prepared to work your butt off! You'll appreciate the amount of work in the end.

10. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    was planning on doing it by hand. i also saw the $20 machines at walmart.. might grab one of them. know they won't really do any better than i could by hand with the pressure they're capable of, but i figure it'll at least save me some work.

whats the difference between the carnauba and the nxt 2.0 wax (which i already bought)?